Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow river runners,
I just started at Pioneer school for expeditionary learning based out of Fort Collins. Pioneer is not your typical school. Instead of sitting in the class room trying to learn about river ecology, Marine Biology, geology, math, English, and foreign languages; we go into the real world and see what those subjects are like out of the classroom. We do this by going on trips to Mexico, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, and South Dakota; any place that could provide a teachable moment.
The reason that I am telling you this is because PIONEER is a public school, and there is a great need for your used gear. If you have old backpacks, sleeping bags, boots, Rain jackets, tents, stoves, rafts, rafting gear, climbing gear, winter gear, really anything that we could use to get more kids outside with us. Your support would be greatly appreciated.

What’s in it for you?
Donations are tax deductible .
Tons of karma both on and off the river.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Patrick Forster

Pioneer School for Expeditionary learning
[email protected]
970-218-4228

·
Registered
929 Posts
Patrick,
I am currently trying to start a non profit group to take kids kayaking and will probably pull most of the students from Centennial high school. Let me know if you think we can work something out.
Thanks,
Kevin

970-217-2166 or at The Mountain Shop 970-493-5720

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey I'm a teacher in Canon City at Garden park High Scool (public alternative school) and we are developing and experiential learning program. We just got a boating and fishing grant and I am struggling with insurance stuff to be able to get the kids out on the water in IK's or rafts without having to go through commercial outfitters. If you have any info that you could share on how you worked it out I would appreciate it.
thanks Corey

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
patrick -- thanks for the info on peru.

as discussed, my old gear is earmarked for your program! i've always been confused as to why there aren't more kids getting into kayaking in CO. for as many paddlers & parks as there are, & just the whole mentality in CO, it just seems like there should be a million grommet boaters out there. anyway, this is a good way to introduce em to the lameness of our chosen lifestyle. like my friend andrew sez, "kayaking sucks. nothing good can ever come of it." (<-- clickit)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts