Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I do the canoe thing. 1 dog, us and gear for multiday trips has never been an issue.

She just brought home a german shep puppy. First thing I said was "there's only room for one dog in the boat". Second thing I said is there's hardly anyroom for the dog in our backpacking tent. Getting a bigger tent isnt too much of an issue... but...

I feel that 2 dogs, us and gear(cooler, dry goods, tents sleeping bags) is just gonna be waaaaay too much instability in a canoe.

Canoe is roughly 17-18'

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
bunkbeds.
or float one behind you on an astral dog pad

assuming its mild class III, get them their own canoe.
build or buy a smaller canoe and fix it to your canoe with wood outriggers. wide enough to take your strokes. you could even give them a plank to go from boat to boat on and be able to carry more gear.
It would be like a side car.
that would be sick

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Luckily she brought home a shepherd which is an entity above a dog, things will work out and be better than before. They will adapt and make the situation work.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'm with MountainMedic...... it's time for a raft. Or option #2 - One human & one dog in the canoe, other human & dog in a duckie.
Have fun with your new pup.
KJ

·
Registered
149 Posts
dogs

Luckily she brought home a shepherd which is an entity above a dog, things will work out and be better than before. They will adapt and make the situation work.

Well, you are in trouble. Get another canoe or a raft. You cannot trust a woman that chooses you over a dog. She will change her mind or always be wondering, what if... anyways, here is my newest (if I'm smart enough to get the photos loaded). 3 months old and picked up by Idaho Falls Animal Control, not claimed. Not a shepard, but like you said, those shepards are somewhere between a dog and a cat (I think that's what you were sayin). Good luck and enjoy your new dog, they don't last long enough. Enjoy the new boat when you get it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
OMG....that second pic with your new baby chewing on your other dog is the best thing I've seen in a long time. The look on the big dog's face is worth a million dollars.

·
Super Moderator
2,875 Posts
OMG....that second pic with your new baby chewing on your other dog is the best thing I've seen in a long time. The look on the big dog's face is worth a million dollars.
I thought the same thing. For a dog who doesn't use english there is a lot of communication on that dog's face. Priceless.

To the OP. Get off your knees. Get a raft, make your life easy er.

·
Registered
66 Posts
so this brings up a new question in my mind. How do you protect your inflatable from the dog's nails? I have a border collie that I'd love to go with us, but I've been concerned about her puncturing a hole in the main tubes.

I've read about putting carpet down on the floor, but how do others protect the walls?

thanks.
-scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never been a big fan of rafts for what we do. Stuff like the green river and ruby horsethief is great for a canoe. I'm a booze crusin kind of guy. For whitewater, sure. I also don't see the wifey paddling by herself, so that rules out a 2nd craft.

I have nothing against the shep, I've always been down to have one. I just think she has horrible timing. I work full time, so does she. She's also in night school 4 days a week. Life just seems a lot easier with ONE dog.. heh.

Bob, is this what you had in mind:

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've paddeled alot of class II and some III

with a german shorthare and lab lying in the middle. They usually just slept. Kind of like being in a car. Keeping the sun off of them and keeping them cool was the hard part. Like most things, the dogs are easier than the kids!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love my dogs - seriously they are on my king size bed right now, but after the kids came the dogs didn't get to come anymore. I don't miss them bringing sticks onto the raft (now their nails won't pucture - but those sticks will) and I really don't miss getting shook on. There's so many places where they are outlawed now - I don't agree with it, but it's how it is. It was really quite an easy decision after we flipped once and the dog ended up on the other bank and it was not a place he could swim and there was a cliff......... Nightmare on Alberton. Even if I didn't have the kids - I don't think I'd go back to rafting with them. And as I mentioned, I REALLY love my dogs - they go everywhere else with us - just not boating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts