Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get out as much as much as I would like too....but, the last 2 times that I have floated the Upper C, someone has lost their dog at Yarrmony. 2 weeks ago there was a succesful recovery....today, I am not sure how things turned out (commercial trip, brown lab lost, please let me know if anyone knows if he/she was found).
I always float with my dog, except where permits or water (read-my skill level) may prohibit. He always wears his life jacket, it has a handle to pull him back in the boat. And when we head into something that has consequence, he sits down on the floor and someone has a hand on him.
Dogs follow us obediently where we want them to go, and they love the River. But please people, take care of them. Respect their abilities to swim and take the same precautions that you would take for anyone on your boat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is sad to hear. I hope evrything turned out ok. Its sad when people dont take the precautions for dog that have no say if they want to do it or not

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It's that time of year again, dogs are getting in trouble on the water and our annual thread has started.

I swim like a fish. I am fine getting slammed underwater, being there for more than a couple of seconds, and in general believe I am more comfortable in the water than most. Regardless, I wear a PFD. I wear a hi-float rescue PFD. I don't jump off the boat before rapids, strainers, or dangerous situations.

My dogs are retrievers and rock-star swimmers. They wear PFD's, they aren't allowed to jump off the boat whenever they want. They don't know what is dangerous. They rely on me to take care of them and keep them out of bad situations.

I don't relate to people that think just because their dog can swim well, they don't need a pfd in moving water or they can swim the entire river or jump in whenever they want. Even if it is a tubing-river, dogs will have more fun swimming all day with a PFD on, they get less tired, just like we do.

Very sad to hear about dog problems. I hope they are OK

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was out at Yarmony yesterday and some railroad guys asked us if our paddleboat could rescue a 12 yr old lab near the rapid. We didn't see the dog until we were in the middle of Yarmony. It was on river left smack in the middle of two cliffs and the upper and lower part of the rapid. It had a yellow life jacket on. We could be of no help and it broke our hearts to see it looking longingly at us. We later found out from a fishing guide that the humans had flipped in Yarmony and the poor dog had self rescued where he was.

You know some days are just bad days. The weather was certainly challenging with thunderstorms and hail. Maybe they were in a paddleboat that just didn't make the move at the top. What occured to me however, was that so many people don't consider the Upper C a significant river...especially at certain water levels (over 2000)...I heard from other guides that, "Yup, people have been flippin' boats right and left up here..."

I had sad nightmares about the trip all night last night. I'm not saying a bad day couldn't happen to anyone of us. Dogs just seem to get to pay for their human's screw-ups. I hope the humans did the right thing and rescued their dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't get out as much as much as I would like too....but, the last 2 times that I have floated the Upper C, someone has lost their dog at Yarrmony. 2 weeks ago there was a succesful recovery....today, I am not sure how things turned out (commercial trip, brown lab lost, please let me know if anyone knows if he/she was found).
I saw the dog yesterday, probably around 3:00. We were asked to look for it by a couple of gentlemen upstream on the railroad tracks, but unfortunately the dog was on river left, smack dab in the middle of Yarmony. By the time we saw it we were flying by and there was nothing we could do to help. (Sorry!) The dog is wearing a PFD, and I hope to hear of its rescue!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw the dog yesterday, probably around 3:00. We were asked to look for it by a couple of gentlemen upstream on the railroad tracks, but unfortunately the dog was on river left, smack dab in the middle of Yarmony. By the time we saw it we were flying by and there was nothing we could do to help. (Sorry!) The dog is wearing a PFD, and I hope to hear of its rescue!
The party that had lost the dog was going to make another lap from Radium so I'm sure the dog got picked up. Doggie PFD's definately make a difference and they have that convienent handle!That makes me feel better.
I realize that sh*t happens. My dog and I have swum both needle eye and yarmony, and he loves being out there as much (or more than) as I do. Thanks for the good input.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This thread has come up so many times its a broken record. And like that broken record, I'm going to chime in with the response because I feel pretty strongly about this: LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME! AND THEN I WON'T HAVE TO READ THESE SAD STORIES CAUSED BY IRRESPONSIBLE DUMB ASS DOG OWNERS!

·
Registered
202 Posts
This thread has come up so many times its a broken record. And like that broken record, I'm going to chime in with the response because I feel pretty strongly about this: LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME! AND THEN I WON'T HAVE TO READ THESE SAD STORIES CAUSED BY IRRESPONSIBLE DUMB ASS DOG OWNERS!
I have to agree and disagree. Just like a small kid on the river there is a time and place for it. At low flows and on rivers were I am as sure as I can be that nothing will happen I will take my dog. But SH!% happens out there and thats why everything has to be just right for dogs and kids to be on the river in our group. The two things I hate to hear are about dogs and kids getting hurt or worse on the river due to people not caring.

But any way I really hope that the dog got out ok and is home with the owners now

·
Registered
808 Posts
please leave the dogs at home.
They are usually an overall pain the butt to all but the owner.
I'm quite sure some will feel otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question? Who are you to dictate to others how they should enjoy life. For some people, they want their dog to be apart of their experience. Accepting the risks of the river is a choice that everyone of us makes. Yes you can argue that the dog has no choice. But given the option, I bet our dogs would choose to be with us any and everywhere we go. I am also willing to bet that if/when you have an accident on the river the last thing that you need/want is to be called an "irresponsible dumb ass"! Life is about being with the ones you love the most. For some of us that is our dogs. So protect them the best you can (PFD!) and let them live life too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
All you people with kids leave them at home to please I hate the little brats running around making noise and bugging me when I am getting my drink on. Kids will cry and moan that they dont want to go on the river ( well only some kids) but you Irresponile parents are taking you own kids down the river that could pose the same problems for the kids as well as the dogs.
Like I said before there is a time and place for every thing My dog goes on every trip that I feel is safe for him and were there are not going to be many people so he does not have to be leashed even though he only goes 20 yrd befor getting scared and runs back to my side.
But I think we are losing track of this post. Any word on the dog?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dog, yes. I am hoping to hear of a happy outcome. I was just so astonished by the situation I was hoping to hear of some news on Mountainbuzz.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I take my dogs when I'm rafting. Think about it... if you get really stuck someplace and you are starving then you will be a lot better off if you have a dog with you. You can cook him or you can even eat him raw. You can cut the leftovers into thin strips and let them cure in the sun and they will keep for at least a couple of weeks while you wait for help.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Or if you had my husky she'd catch all the rodents you could eat and just leave 'em for you to clean and cook!! What a great plan :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Or if you had my husky she'd catch all the rodents you could eat and just leave 'em for you to clean and cook!! What a great plan :)
I like that better. My dogs are Chihuahuas so they don't have much meat on them. They caught a squirrel in the back yard this summer so maybe I could just let them loose and see what they catch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you let some chihuahuas run loose around here they'd probably catch a little coyote or a nice juicy mountain lion!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dogs

Dogs love Camp! Not Boating!They Don't Have Thumbs so they Can't Hold On! The People(Mostly Guys) Who bring their Dogs, Do it Mostly for THE STATUS.It's that Look At Me thing that alot of Guy's have.
As Well As the complete incompetence,Of most recreational boaters these days.Some of you think a DFD is going to save your Buddy? Like all PFD's it will not keep them from going under. And in the event they do have to swim to the side, The HANDLE GETS CAUGHT IN THE TAMMY'S etc...
Side Note; If you are going to bring the toilet, Put "ALL THE SHIT " In it.
6 People PLUS 3 Dogs is More Than Six User Days?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take them on your boat if you want to...but keep them leashed at the put-ins/take-outs. I get really sick of dealing with dogs as I rig up, or break down my raft.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts