Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
My dog wears the k-9 float coat and we love it. I don't have any experience with the NRS one for comparison, but the float coat has a lot of good features like a hidden D ring that won't snag but is accessible for a leash, and the dog is super buoyant in it. It's reflective too, which helps at night.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try to bring your dog to try on the pfd, the shop in Avon (Edwards?) was cool with it. I have 2 dogs, male & female and they wear differnt pfds. The female wears the Lotus vest and it works great. Unfortunately for the boy dog that full wrap of flotation rubs him a little funny in the no-no spot. So he wears the NRS brand, looks a little like a cape on him but works great. Haven't tried the Ruff Wear, I don't care for their booties so I figured the PFD would suck too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Big support

I have two newfoundlands (167lbs, 125lbs). They use Ruffwear pfd's and the top loop allows them to be pulled out of the water back into a raft if necessary. These vests provide just enough float to take off some of the pressure on them and they love em.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Chessie has an old Lotus Designs PFD and it doesn't stay in place very well. My friend's dogs have the K-9 Float Coats and they work great. My dog is 70 pounds dry. I haven't seen the NRS model in action, but I like the beefier look of the K-9, compared to the CFD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stop by Elk Mtn Trading Co. in Frisco, at the East end of Main St.
They carry RuffWear, which my Lab uses and is very high quality. They have many different colors and will let you try them on your pup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the NRS CFD, and my 75 lb dog loves it - just look at that smile! It has a nice handle on the back, so you can lift him out of the water and into the raft, no problem. The straps under the belly are nice and wide, so they don't dig in when you cinch it down. No complaints!

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've had the NRS pfd for my German Shorthaired Pointer for three years and it's a good pfd for the money, very user friendly and has held up well. My only complaint is that the front buckle doesn't stay tight. It was constantly coming loose, at least on my dog anyway. So I took a speedy stitcher and sewed the nylon strap in place so that it doesn't slip at all anymore. I sewed all the way through the red part (through the fabric and padding). It's like having a fitted pfd. The straps under the belly are still fully adjustable but the front one has one position. Since doing that, it's been great.

In action: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/attachments/gallery/files/5/9/1/6/Siler_Pumphouse_original.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have used the NRS CFD's on two corgi's for about five years now. They have even surfed in the Pacific in them. Corgi's ain't the most bouyant critters and these guys have been chundered, and they always pop up and float like corks when using the CFD's. Love em'.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback, the pics are awesome. I am going to take him into a shop to test fit, given he is a 100lb and growing german shepherd puppy so the body shape might be an issue which I had not considered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
my two dogs have the ruff wear pfd's and i like them very much! they have been durable and fit them both well. one dog is roughly 30 lbs. and the other is 45lbs size range. i especially like the grab loop on the back which comes in handy for holding onto them when running rapids or just helping them in or out of the raft. they also make a nice sleeping pad for them or a pillow for you at camp.

also....if you have a skinny cold dog like i do you can fold up a tent footprint, drape it around them and put the pfd on over the top.

and i agree with whoever said the ruff wear booties suck. they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NRS CFD Dog PFD

Since you purchased your CFD, we've modified the design to prevent the slipping of the neck band. It looks like you made a good fix for the problem. If it's not working well for you, we'll replace it for you.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Since you purchased your CFD, we've modified the design to prevent the slipping of the neck band. It looks like you made a good fix for the problem. If it's not working well for you, we'll replace it for you.
And that my friends is why I buy from a local NRS dealer. Support local and get the best warranty in the business.

I had a RuffWear small for the dog when he was a pup. Bought the NRS CFD last summer on a friends recommendation. The buoyancy is on the dogs back rather than a full wrap. This means he can swim well and does not "Roll over" with the flotation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts