Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
We had a discussion about this but both definitions support both side of the argument. So we ask the Buzzards opinion:

Do we
oar(ôr,
r)
n.
1. A long, thin, usually wooden pole with a blade at one end, used to row or steer a boat.
2. A person who rows a boat, especially in a race.
v. oared, oar·ing, oars
v.tr.
1. To propel with or as if with oars or an oar.
2. To traverse with or as if with oars or an oar: an hour to oar the strait.
v.intr.
To move forward by or as if by rowing: oared strongly across the finish line.

Or do we:

row 2(r
)
v. rowed, row·ing, rows
v.intr. Nautical
To propel a boat with or as if with oars.
v.tr.
1. Nautical
a. To propel (a boat) with or as if with oars.
b. To carry in or on a boat propelled by oars.
c. To use (a specified number of oars or people deploying them).
2. To propel or convey in a manner resembling rowing of a boat.
3. Sports
a. To pull (an oar) as part of a racing crew.
b. To race against by rowing.
n. Nautical
a. The act or an instance of rowing.
b. A shift at the oars of a boat.
2. A trip or an excursion in a rowboat

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Row, row, row your boat...

We ROW! Drives me absolutely batty for someone to use 'oar' as a verb even though your source confirms the use of the word in that manner. This has been the topic of debate in several instances. I generally start singing (and badly), "Row, row, row your boat..."

·
Registered
222 Posts
if a kayaker uses a paddle and he/ she paddles, and a rafter uses a oar he/ she must oar. a rafter does not use a row, to row. see that makes real good sense.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oars are used to row. Period. Anyone who says otherwise is a tool, and should be paddled vigorously with an oar.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, rafters row. If you're hammered drunk in the big ditch you scream, "O.A.R. Tom, OAR!"

Joe

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I equate this one to how people that explore caves do it: Spelunkers are the know-nothings and amateurs, cavers are the ones that know what they are doing. Oarers (god that is an awkward word) are likely the know nothings and amateurs of the rafting world. If I meet someone at a put-in who wants to 'Oar' the river I'm going to suspect that they don't have a clue.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I equate this one to how people that explore caves do it: Spelunkers are the know-nothings and amateurs, cavers are the ones that know what they are doing. Oarers (god that is an awkward word) are likely the know nothings and amateurs of the rafting world. If I meet someone at a put-in who wants to 'Oar' the river I'm going to suspect that they don't have a clue.
I totally agree...:mrgreen:.....besides......you can loose an oar....but how do you loose a row?:confused:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have always rowed but never "oared". I stand in line not "on line". I graduated from high school not "graduated high school". I don't know if it is a west/east difference or what but my wife who is originally from NY says the latter.

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
· Main Entry: oars·man
· Pronunciation: \ˈȯrz-mən\
· Function: noun
· Date: 1701
: one who rows especially in a racing crew
Rowsman
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

row·er \ˈrō-ər\ noun

·
Registered
351 Posts
So do you itch a scratch or scratch an itch? Personally I row, those who oar, well I don't know what it is that they do.

"To row oar not to row, this is the question"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is this a meant to cause divison among the masses (much like abortion or gay marriage)? I guess I would probably stray away from anyone who is a fanatic either way. (Especially if they are under 30 and willing to call others "know nothings" or "amatures".)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A rower is an oarsman who use oars to row his boat on a river so he can oar throught a rapid, to get to camp so he can roll with his girl friend in his tent, that he rowed down the river with him on his oar rig, just too impress her with his rowing skills, that he will use on a lake in his row boat when they go fishing.:eek:

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this a meant to cause divison among the masses (much like abortion or gay marriage)? I guess I would probably stray away from anyone who is a fanatic either way. (Especially if they are under 30 and willing to call others "know nothings" or "amatures".)
Not really, we had a good debate on the river this weekend and I just wanted to see what others had to say

·
Registered
199 Posts
I fish and drink I don't care what you call what the captain is doing but I have noticed that a good cohort back"rows" to slow down the drift and "rows" me into good position while a person who sits behind the "oars" is about wothless! PineMnky, hope you find the two dogs owners/good home if not you can always name them Row and Oar.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts