Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen numerous 'let-me-borrow-your-kayak' requests on here...and while I have several, I'm more than reluctant to let a stranger 'borrow' a $1K piece of gear...but I'm not entirely undecided.

Do you loan out your babies? To strangers? What about damage? Do you just let someone drive off without any guarantee of return?

Again, just curious here. Not looking for hits, but answers as I see lots of these threads and they have me curious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FastFXR said:
I've seen numerous 'let-me-borrow-your-kayak' requests on here...and while I have several, I'm more than reluctant to let a stranger 'borrow' a $1K piece of gear...but I'm not entirely undecided.

Do you loan out your babies? To strangers? What about damage? Do you just let someone drive off without any guarantee of return?

Again, just curious here. Not looking for hits, but answers as I see lots of these threads and they have me curious.
I think this is a great idea for whitewater travelers ...especially international...

·
Registered
384 Posts
The friends I like to keep are people who I have deemed trustworthy, and if they were a boater, I'd probably let a friend borrow a boat. If I don't know the person, at the most it would be a situation in which I was on the water with them.
I will add though, that a conversation that I had on the Buzz last summer resulted in me borrowing a boat for a couple of days from a person with whom I had only shared a few private messages. I had just inquired about a particular kayak and she just offered I give it a try. Folks with this attitude are some of the best ambassadors for the sport and often remind me to try to be more trusting.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Kids are more important than kayaks and boats are not worth 1K once they leave the shop. I have lent several boats after a short conversation over responsibility and expectations and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've lent my boats to various friends over the years and have always been happy to do so....

I lent my LL CR250 to an acquaintance that was just getting into kayaking, seemed like a solid dude, I rarely paddled the boat anymore...and Pueblo is a fairly small town when it comes to the kayaking community. I never got my boat back....tried repeatedly to get the money from the kid (kept telling me he sent it)....moved to Idaho and I never heard another word. I asked my buddy Bob at the Edge to keep an eye out for him because (apparently) he's a big snow boarder too.

Sucks, I liked that boat...and was willing to sell it to him dirt cheap. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good Times,
Sorry to hear that. I have been lent a boat twice in NY when I have been there without a boat. Both times by complete strangers that I met on their version of the buzz. Both times I returned the boat with beverages and both times everyone happy. Once I paddled with the person, once without. I would lend a boat to a stranger.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I would.

Damn, Good Times. Sucks to hear that. :(
I would think your experience would be the exception. River karma is too important to screw up.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Try mine

I encourage people to try mine. It's a give back to gaining a paddling buddy and I've usally tweeked the outfitting or did something to make it perform better.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah, it sucked...but to be honest...I don't think it has or would deter me from loaning my gear again...boat or otherwise.

The lesson learned would be to set the expectations better...I told him "you can use the boat for awhile and let me know if you want to buy it"....I contacted him a couple/few weeks later, he said he liked it and would get me the money. It never came and I tried a few more times before moving to Idaho...each time he said he sent it and it must have "gotten lost in the mail". I asked him to take the boat to The Edge where Bob could either sell it for me or keep it safe until I could pick it up. Never happened.

Oh well......

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,248 Posts
Never do
Unless I'm paddling with them

·
Registered
154 Posts
Most of my boats spend too much time dry in my garage. I loan boats out to people I know and don't know all the time. I figure it is a good way to help people pick up the sport. If I ever get burned the boating community is small enough I'll be able to locate the boat, and cops are a tight enough community that recovering it shouldn't be an issue (especially since I mark all my boats discreetly to ID them as mine).

Kyle

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wouldn't be that excited to loan out a boat to someone that I absolutely did not know at all.

BUT... in the world of kayaking, especially in the class IV/V range, its rare to meet people that don't at least have common acquaintances. If a traveling boater wanted to borrow a boat, and we had mutual acquaintances, I wouldn't hesitate. Experienced paddlers know its a karma thing, and are usually willing to help out, as they know the odds are they could need help shortly. Its sort of the team spirit of helping each other out.

I also wouldn't have a problem loaning out a playboat or a mankboat. Loaning out a creekboat without a crack in it for folks to run down colorado mank is another story though. I would hesitate to do that unless we had an agreement that a busted boat would be replaced.

I did loan out my mankboat to a friend once... who swam, and completely destroyed said mankboat. It wasn't worth much, so I didn't worry too much.

I also loaned out a bunch of scuba gear to a buddy who left all the shit on the beach in mexico after a lunch time buzz kicked in.

I guess the moral of the story is... don't lend out anything that you can't deal with losing. The other moral of the story is that you can never have too many mankboats.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I do it for a living. Some people are really good at getting them back... Others... you gotta chase down. You know who you are!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yep

I have loaned out my boats to several people. I am usually with them, but not always. If you loan your boat out, make sure you are very clear when you tell them "DONT PEE IN MY BOAT!". I'm not sure why, but some beginners get told that if you have to go, then just pee in your boat. So gross! Some of them don't understand that it is a joke. A really bad one. I wish people would stop saying that.:-|

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for all the loaner boats! Got one in the backyard about to depart on a Grand Canyon trip in a few days. Thanks Craw!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts