Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a guy on the lochsa who said that you can run the payettes late into the summer because they are dam controlled. Is it worth the drive from Missoula to go check it out that time of the year? Or should I just wait for next springs runoff? Also looking for a site about Canadian rivers similar to American Whitewater that tells info on rivers up there.

·
Super Moderator
2,866 Posts
Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus (if dams can be related to Christmas in some way) in the Payette River system. Between the Deadwood flowing into the SF Payette and the Cascade Reservoir feeding the NF Payette, it opens up quite a few runs.
If you are looking for some late season runs come on down. It is awesome. How awesome depends a little on what you want to run. The class 5 section runs all the time as does the class 3 Cabarton. The Staircase is runnable even after the Deadwood shuts off. The Canyon section ( most awesome class 4 run) gets pretty bony after the Deadwood shuts down. While you are in the area the Murtaugh section of the Snake runs irregularly but is wonderful day run near Twin Falls. Late summer as irrigation demand goes down the river flow goes up. Lots of stuff in Idaho. Get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, that Murtaugh looks awesome. I want to plan a four day trip down there in mid august. We would all have small 13ftish ft rafts and cats. Any other day runs (above class III) come to mind if some of these aren't running ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
In mid August there will be at least two awesome class 3 runs running, without a doubt in my mind.

The cabarton and main payette are awesome runs. Also Swirley Canyon might be worthwhile. A couple hours away and you have some sections on the Salmon River near the town of Riggins as well as the Bliss section of the Snake River near the town of Hagerman.

The secret is out, Idaho has great whitewater late into August and beyond!

·
Registered
444 Posts
not to steal the thread, but we are coming off the main slamon on august 14th and were looking to run something on the way home the evening of the 14th and the 15th. Any idea what should be the best bet? we will have playboats so NF is out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
bump

Looking to head back to The Banks first week of September. I paddled the North Fork in early October last year at around 600. It was like mostly continuous Class III and each of the named rapids in the Lower Five were class IV. The SF was too low then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Payette is still running now. If you are coming up from the Denver area, I am looking for someone to transport a kayak up to Boise for me. Let me know if you are headed this way. I am willing to pay some $$ for your time and effort. PM me if you can help out. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts