Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buzzards,

I've got a 14' Otter thats mostly used for fishing and multidays. It gets out a few times a year for use as a paddle raft. I have 2 thwarts, but the boat has another BAT attachment for one more. So far I have taken max 5 people paddle style...

Do I NEED a 3rd thwart to add more people??

I'd rather not spend the extra $$... but unsure if 7 paddlers on a boat with 2 thwarts would be a real pain or if it would be fine? I would be for class 2-3 day trips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
A middle thwart makes it easier for people sitting towards the stern to stay in the boat. Provides a good toe hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
Or you could just put in some foot loops.

·
Registered
970 Posts
2 Thwarts has worked just fine for 7 people in a 14' raft for decades.

I would be basing the number of paddlers on the stretch and flows, for example I would be happy to take 6 paddlers down Browns, but i would only take 3-4 max down Numbers. Either way, both of those examples only require 2 thwarts, especially if it is only for a few days per year.

Suggestion: Go try it out for the rest of this season with various combos and make any necessary changes for next season after you have had a chance to see how they work.

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
Make that foot cups, the loops are an entrapment hazzard.
Thanks - I stand corrected. It's been years since I even thought about those things...

·
SarahofTheWaves
360 Posts
Depends on what you want to run. A middle thwart will keep the crew more organized and more likely to stay in the boat. Middle thwart will also make your boat more stiff. I bought one for my 13.5 Hyside and glad I did. Color of the middle thwart does not match my boat, but whatever. Always use 3 thwarts when in paddle raft mode.

I put two foot cups in the front and one in the rear for the guide.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Buzzards,

I've got a 14' Otter thats mostly used for fishing and multidays. It gets out a few times a year for use as a paddle raft. I have 2 thwarts, but the boat has another BAT attachment for one more. So far I have taken max 5 people paddle style...

Do I NEED a 3rd thwart to add more people??

I'd rather not spend the extra $$... but unsure if 7 paddlers on a boat with 2 thwarts would be a real pain or if it would be fine? I would be for class 2-3 day trips.

Thanks!

Reliable River Repair has some used Hyside and RMR thwarts for sale. The RMR thwarts also have BAT attachments. You can't beat $60/ea.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f71/2-gray-rocky-mountain-thwarts-103883.html

Depends on what you want to run. A middle thwart will keep the crew more organized and more likely to stay in the boat. Middle thwart will also make your boat more stiff. I bought one for my 13.5 Hyside and glad I did. Color of the middle thwart does not match my boat, but whatever. Always use 3 thwarts when in paddle raft mode.

I put two foot cups in the front and one in the rear for the guide.
Likewise. My middle thwart usually comes out, but is almost always in for paddle rafting whether I R2 or R7 (13' Trib). More places you can stick a toe in to keep butts in the boat, more displacement if you flood the boat, stiffer boat. Definitely worthwhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts