Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Coat your wrap in marine varnish. A real varnish like Epiphanes. NOT Helmsman’s. Prevents abrasion and UV damage.

·
Registered
823 Posts
When I wrapped first set of oars in 1978 or '79, following example of elders, we used 3/16 solid braid. You could buy it off the spool at local hardware/everything store in Moab (Miller's - defunct) but we eventually bought a spool (500 feet) and used it to do 4-5 pair. 90 feet is overkill, 50-60 will give 14-18 inches of wrap depending on oar diameter. And the serving mallet is genius!

·
Registered
506 Posts
"Most paracord is 3/16 just like what Sawyer sells. " Not true. "Most" paracord is 550 spec which means 550 lb rating or military spec cord , both of which are typically 4mm (about 5/32"). More importantly, Sawyer does not sell paracord, they sell 3/16 solid braid. The sheath cords on paracord are super thin and easy to wear through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Most paracord is 3/16 just like what Sawyer sells. " Not true. "Most" paracord is 550 spec which means 550 lb rating or military spec cord , both of which are typically 4mm (about 5/32"). More importantly, Sawyer does not sell paracord, they sell 3/16 solid braid. The sheath cords on paracord are super thin and easy to wear through.

Use whatever you want. My point is that 3/16" paracord is easily a sourced. I've done plenty of oars with it. They all look great and have lasted. You have to wrap them tight, though, which you can't do by hand like that video shows. Use a serving mallet, then coat with varnish. Bomber.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
The sheath cords on paracord are super thin and easy to wear through.
^^
This

And if you wrap a "standard" (1 7/8" -2" dia) oar with 4mm paracord, you'll also get a pretty sloppy fit in the oarlocks. It's all a part of a system.

If you have a larger than standard oar shaft and a tight oarlock, I could see a case for using paracord or 1/8" dia solid braid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^
This

And if you wrap a "standard" (1 7/8" -2" dia) oar with 4mm paracord, you'll also get a pretty sloppy fit in the oarlocks. It's all a part of a system.

If you have a larger than standard oar shaft and a tight oarlock, I could see a case for using paracord or 1/8" dia solid braid.
Wait, we're talking about those water pushy things still, right?

·
Registered
506 Posts
" Hello Sir. Welcome to Jim's Hardware" " Hi I'd like some 3/16" paracord" " We don't carry 3/16" paracord. the standard is 4MM which is about 5/32". What are you using it for?" "I want to wrap some oars" " Well sir, all the commercial oar manufacturers use 3/16" solid braid, would you like some of that?" "No, paracord is pretty" Well Sir, I can sell you 4MM paracord or 3/16" solid braid, which do you prefer?" "3/16 paracord"

·
Registered
30 Posts
" Hello Sir. Welcome to Jim's Hardware" " Hi I'd like some 3/16" paracord" " We don't carry 3/16" paracord. the standard is 4MM which is about 5/32". What are you using it for?" "I want to wrap some oars" " Well sir, all the commercial oar manufacturers use 3/16" solid braid, would you like some of that?" "No, paracord is pretty" Well Sir, I can sell you 4MM paracord or 3/16" solid braid, which do you prefer?" "3/16 paracord"
Serious? If you don't like paracord, don't use it. I never said it was better, the best, or anything other than it will work. We're not talking about highly technological pieces of equipment here. You all have your panties in a bunch over rope. I've wrapped plenty of oars, including ones I've made. Most with paracord. All are still just fine. You want to use something else, go right on ahead.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey Automotive tire

Yeah, I'm aware you've made some oars - found a picture of some. A little rough but being able to use a tape measure is an over-rated skill in oar making anyway. Looks like they need some new paracord

·
Registered
773 Posts
For best results I suggest using the product below or something very similar. Previously I had treated all of mine with spray on shellac which worked very well but I’m interested in something with UV protection as mentioned. I did six oars with the amount used of that spool.
Wood Shipping box Flooring Font Rectangle
Black Wood Waste containment Musical instrument Audio equipment

21 - 34 of 34 Posts