Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrapped my new oars myself. It was actually a fun project. Made the wraps as tight as possible and used a spray adhesive on the shaft. We’ll see if it holds up like a factory wrap

so for any noobs out there like me, this is totally possible!
I followed this video from YouTube:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice work. Looks solid. I might give this a try at some point. Where did you get the rope? I found a large spool off Uline.com but curious if there are other options?

Also looks like a Super Puma, what is the width of the frame? Does it stick out a bit on each side? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DIY and you still went with black... there's a world of cool paracord out there!
I went with black this time around... I'm thinking a black/green mixture to make match my lime green raft next time around. TBH, I didn't even think about using paracord...

Nice work. Looks solid. I might give this a try at some point. Where did you get the rope? I found a large spool off Uline.com but curious if there are other options?

Also looks like a Super Puma, what is the width of the frame? Does it stick out a bit on each side? Just curious. Thanks.
I went to my local raft store and they had the 3/16" nylon rope in black. They gave me 90' per oar, which was much more than I needed but it was nice having that extra. I'll use it in other ways. It is a Super Puma with a 54" bighorn 1 frame. 54" is the recommended frame width from Aire and NRS. It SEEMS a bit wide but fits over the tubes like it should. The picture I posted is misleading as I don't have the frame strapped down or centered.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's not the OD that is the problem. There is nothing to wear through. 1/6" and you have a failure - I've done it. With thicker rope at least you have some thickness to wear through and even then, I wear thru 1/4" rope in a couple of seasons. Not a fun thing to happen on a trip. But paracord is pretty

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's not the OD that is the problem. There is nothing to wear through. 1/6" and you have a failure - I've done it. With thicker rope at least you have some thickness to wear through and even then, I wear thru 1/4" rope in a couple of seasons. Not a fun thing to happen on a trip. But paracord is pretty
Never considered wear...my old cataract sticks are at least 10 years old and the factory wrap isn't worn at all. Then again they mainly push a sub 100lb cat or my 12' raft...certainly no hard work.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
My oldest wood oars are now 16+ years old and have the original 3/16 solid braid nylon wraps. I did unwrap and rewrap them 7 or 8 years ago...with the original wraps which became sort of tiger-striped when the rope twisted differently exposing different sun-faded and non-faded faces...still going strong.

But I also ran oar rights for 14 of those years, much less twisting in the lock, so I'd imagine less wear.

Wraps on my newest are going on 4 years old.

I think wraps wear out faster if you have rough, new oarlocks that haven't been buffed or polished (either sanded/buffed or through use) and/or if you lay your oars in the sand and the rope gets grit in it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to pay more attention to the issue. I got new Cataract oars three years ago and wore through the wrap an extended outing this year. That boat has the thinner oarlocks and I use oar rights on it (same wear point all the time). My dory has cobra oarlocks and no oar rights. Haven't noticed the wear but I don't use it as much either. Don't think I get a lot of sand on them but I'll watch. Whatever works I guess but at he very least might be a good idea to move the oar right occasionally if you use them.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Another interesting point I can't explain:

I always ran my wraps dry with oar rights, but started using wax (and even some tallow on my most recent trip) with open locks and simple stoppers. I have a lot more wear than I had before...wonder if it's from the wax or tallow picking up sand..my oars were used frequently for shade tarp poles.

·
Registered
823 Posts
No question if your oars come off the boat for whatever purpose in camp they will pick up sand - and that's not good for your wraps, especially if you use paraffin or beeswax or anything sand can stick to... I think I've tried just about everything over the years, from ceramic bike lube/synthetic bike lube/ to paraffin and beeswax (now). If it shows a haze or a shine, sand is gonna' stick to it... so my oars stay on my boat and I carry tent poles for camp.

Bike lubes work well on the shaft of the oarlock if your bushings are getting worn or you don't run 'em... keeps everything quiet. But beeswax or paraffin is the best I've found for use on the 'locks-stopper interface (where they rub). Takes a couple of applications to build up a good greasy surface, but if you feather the crap out of your oars (which I definitely do) you want 'em to rotate easily and without squeaks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Actually, in my experience, it goes on best melted in a double burner (beer can with the wax/paraffin floating in a 1 qt saucepan on boil) and applied with a bristle brush. Plus you need to empty the beer can first...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts