Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to design and build a frame for my 11' Aire tubes. The idea is to create a shredder-like paddle cataraft, but without the floor. I became interested in this after reading "Brothers on the Bashkaus" and researching soviet-era Whitewater. Paddling position is kneeling atop each tube, held in place with thigh straps.

I figure I could use square steel tubing, aluminium would just be a pain with all the welding needed. The tubes are 19" I think... I guess I'd still be within weight tolerance. Are there any free resources on frame design out there? Does anyone have experience with a paddle cat?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yes. 10' tubes but ours we drop down in it and use like an IK. So nothing like what you wanna do

Made the frame from 3/4" ips sched 40 6061 and speed rail. Conduit would have worked also but unless you have a real bender its tough to get a bend on any larger diam conduit using a hand/foot bender

Sounds like you want two paddlers one on each tube.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been working on a project based on the same idea. I have put a couple months thought into it.

As always, I am too lazy to type. I would be happy to talk on the phone.

303-887-5015

-Eric

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice avatard, I'll make a trip to the pipe supply tomorrow maybe. I'm excited to see what I can get my hands on. I still need to figure out width, I want to keep it narrow for creeks and tight rivers. The paddling position should offer great view for horizons and stability, with the weight close to the sides.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
k2andcannoli said:
Thanks for the advice avatard, I'll make a trip to the pipe supply tomorrow maybe. I'm excited to see what I can get my hands on. I still need to figure out width, I want to keep it narrow for creeks and tight rivers. The paddling position should offer great view for horizons and stability, with the weight close to the sides.
If you lose a paddler just make sure you dont lose both. If you want i can post pics of my frames. Very popular the newbies in my group wont run an IK for long but love the paddle cats

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any pictures of this setup?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts