Mountain Buzz banner

101 - 120 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Man, that boat is sure coming along nicely, Mt4 runner! Even making par locks! :)

Stoked to see this thread, gonna have to get pics of some of my gear posted one of these days!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
almortal, thank you. I have a couple of QC issues to sort through (more draft on my pattern, more heat in the foundry), but I'm excited about the shape.

Andy Hutchinson dory plans. All the pieces fit nicely per his pattern

Man, that boat is sure coming along nicely, Mt4 runner! Even making par locks! :)

Stoked to see this thread, gonna have to get pics of some of my gear posted one of these days!
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found a post on this site https://www.mountainbuzz.com/#/topics/48038 and made a barrel pump last year, because I was too cheap to pay what they wanted for a real one. Parts were well under $100, including the adjustable hole saw I had to buy. After nine river days on four different rivers last summer, it held up pretty good. It was difficult (I was too impatient?) to get the gasket perfectly round, so it doesn’t fit as good as it could and leaks more than it should. However for the price, and the minimal use it gets I’m very happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Home made dry box

I "made" a aluminum dry box from this, holds my kitchen. Very splash proof, almost water tight, good enough for what I use it for. Hangs like
a canyon cooler on my frame

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AOB5L7G/ref=psdc_15737921_t1_B0756VKZQJ

I got bids to have one made about this size and came out to $450 or more. Yes they were much better quality, but I have free time and very little money so...… For Under $200 I made this. Better than the plywood or rubber bucket one I made before.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dish Water Strainer

This is not very sexy, but very useful, and it meets the requirements for for your put-in check out by those ranger guys. I used a table saw to cut off the top 6" of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. I then cut another 1" ring just below on the bucket. Placing some window screen inside the 6" piece and pressing it down to the end with the ring, I next fastened it tight with pop rivets. Lastly I trimmed the screen with an utility knife. Now we simply set it on the wet sand next to the river and pour our dishwater into it, which flows out the bottom into the river, sifting all of the small food particles for easy dumping into the trash. It took about half an hour to construct. It fits nicely into my galvanized wash buckets.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Keep them coming!!! Some great homemade stuff in here.

Nice work on those oar locks, not often you see someone go as far as casting their own bronze.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a valve adapter that I made for a cheap Harbor Freight 12v air compressor, to help me fill up my SUPs. I use the 12v Coleman blower 1st to get the bulk of the air in, then use this to finish the job. It is still not very fast, but it beats doing it myself, and frees me up to work on other things.
co_bjread you mind explaining ow you made this adapter

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got a bigger trip coming up and was worried about having to brew tons of french press coffee. I'd prefer to make one pot and be done with that chore. I work at a brewery, so sourcing this stuff was fairly easy for me. This mega-coffee pot will make 2gal of coffee in one shot....enough to fill 16 Yeti 20z tumblers to the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I work at a brewery, so sourcing this stuff was fairly easy for me. This mega-coffee pot will make 2gal of coffee in one shot....enough to fill 16 Yeti 20z tumblers to the top.
That is awesome! Wack, we moved from Loveland out to the Best Slope (Fruita), which brewery do you work at? That is the thing I miss the most about Loveland...the diversity of beer. There are a few decent breweries out this way, and Copper Club is my favorite, but nothing like the scene out there...

·
Registered
303 Posts
We moved to Loveland about the same time the first tap room opened...i still have a squeaker or two! Have a great year on the river, and hope that coffee pot does the job!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I've got a bigger trip coming up and was worried about having to brew tons of french press coffee. I'd prefer to make one pot and be done with that chore. I work at a brewery, so sourcing this stuff was fairly easy for me. This mega-coffee pot will make 2gal of coffee in one shot....enough to fill 16 Yeti 20z tumblers to the top.
I built a 1.5gal SS water pot. Works great. I tend to keep it for hot/fresh water only, then fill percs or french presses from it.

Does it have a drip basket of some sort?

Hope you enjoy yours!

·
Registered
392 Posts
That 2 gallon coffee pot looks like it could also be good for throwing some frozen juice concentrate, water and the liquor of your choice in the evening. Maybe some pirate punch for theme night? Arrrr!

·
Registered
162 Posts
"That 2 gallon coffee pot looks like it could also be good for throwing some frozen juice concentrate, water and the liquor of your choice in the evening. Maybe some pirate punch for theme night? Arrrr!"
Now your're talking my language!

"I built a 1.5gal SS water pot. Works great. I tend to keep it for hot/fresh water only, then fill percs or french presses from it."

Both great ideas! I was planning on using a brewing bag filled with coffee and let it soak (less dishes to clean) tea drinkers be damned!

101 - 120 of 371 Posts