Mountain Buzz banner
441 - 460 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Looks like MT4runner has some serious competition in the DIY field.. ..
Thanks.

I do enjoy his work. He is definitely a talented craftsman.

To be fair, I actually design and sew semi-professionally. This is my first foray into rafting gear though. I can’t advertise my business here but I’m fortunate to have some acquired some very useful equipment and techniques over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Thanks.

I do enjoy his work. He is definitely a talented craftsman.

To be fair, I actually design and sew semi-professionally. This is my first foray into rafting gear though. I can’t advertise my business here but I’m fortunate to have some acquired some very useful equipment and techniques over the years.
When I was a poor ski / raft bum I made a lot of my own sewn goods, but I'm hardly a tailor. That being said, I did buy a consew industrial sewing machine, not nearly as snazzy and feature filled as your Juki though, with the intention of making custom straps for the snout I'm building. Now I just need to figure out how to use it LOL.

·
Beater
116 Posts
Whipped up a quick seat pad for my dry box. 1” closed sell foam encapsulated in 22oz pvc with grommets on the ends. 36x13. I applied spray adhesive to the foam and fabric and to keep it from separating, after the ends were sealed up, I drew all the air out with a big syringe and big blunt needle. I then sealed the tiny hole and the whole thing is basically vacuum sealed.

I’ll just run my box hold-down straps over the top to keep it in place. After I get home next week I’m going to make some straps and rivet some snaps into the lid.
Very nice! I will be interested to hear if hot temps make that sealed pad puff up at all, even my white paco pads have puffed up (when the valves were closed) but there was excess air in there to begin with...

Cool grommets - link?

·
Registered
40 Posts
this is rad! can you share more details on this rig please?
Yes! I actually followed this complete walk through and it was super simple and took very little time: Scepter Water Can Hand Pump Conversion | Danger Ranger Bear
Read the comments - there is one remark about not bothering with the closed cell foam mentioned in the instructions and we agreed. Also, you can find a MUCH cheaper pump on Amazon. We got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GLD4H7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works great!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yes! I actually followed this complete walk through and it was super simple and took very little time: Scepter Water Can Hand Pump Conversion | Danger Ranger Bear
Read the comments - there is one remark about not bothering with the closed cell foam mentioned in the instructions and we agreed. Also, you can find a MUCH cheaper pump on Amazon. We got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GLD4H7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works great!
Neat... might have to do this.

FWIW, it might be easier to drill the hole if you leave the spout on... if the bit fits around the spout it could keel the drill from wandering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DIY Hand Washing Station

Hey hey, anyone have a cool designs for a hand-washing station? My SO needs clean hands for her contacts.
Holes in a tin can hung on the side of a bucket is as simple, and effective as it gets. Scoop out the water and hang it on the side of one bucket and wash your hands while water drains from the holes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gravity Water Filter:
5 Gallon Bucket
Paint Filter for 5 gallon bucket (pre-filter)
GHT bulkhead fitting
GHT to 3/8" Barb, swivel.
3/8" ID hose
3/8" Barb to 1/4" MNPT
10" Filter Housing - thread side on this dictated the size of the inlet/outlet/hose.
1 micron pleated filter
3/8" barb to 1/4" MNPT

Filters 5 gallons in under 10 minutes.. new. Likely will be significantly less after next week's trip down Deso.

1 Micron filter should be sufficient to filter out bacteria. Chemical (Chlorine) disinfection for viruses. A lot of people will just use the filter and never get sick.

Disregard the mess.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Just a suggestion, but I'll bet that 1 micron filter gets clogged pretty fast using gravity as opposed to a pump, you might integrate one of those pre filters like Partner uses, you can buy the elements in your local hardware store, last I did a 2 pack was 6 bucks.. Not sure what the housing would cost.

Another idea I had was to put a gamma seal top on your paint bucket, and a fitting to accept the end of your barrel pump hose, pressurize the system with air and I bet it's flow will increase exponentially. Likely make the 1 micron filter's life longer too. You already carry the pump....

Just a thought, good on ya for the simplicity.

DISCLAIMER. I are an engineer and can't look at anything without trying to make it better LOL

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good news is I have two spare housings and already have the 1/4-1/4 MNPT straight coupler.

The bulkhead fitting sits 1/2” above the bottom of the bucket so sediment that passes thru the mesh bag filter would settle out. Also dumping in from another bucket so I’ll have time to settle some of the turbidity on the first stage.
I would rather dump the bucket, drink a beer, and close the Jerry than spend the time pumping.

How would pumping change the turbidity making it to the filter? Gravity holds it down while the pump pushes up?

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Good news is I have two spare housings and already have the 1/4-1/4 MNPT straight coupler.

The bulkhead fitting sits 1/2” above the bottom of the bucket so sediment that passes thru the mesh bag filter would settle out. Also dumping in from another bucket so I’ll have time to settle some of the turbidity on the first stage.
I would rather dump the bucket, drink a beer, and close the Jerry than spend the time pumping.

How would pumping change the turbidity making it to the filter? Gravity holds it down while the pump pushes up?
It won't change the turbidity, but having it pressurized a little bit would allow it to force water through that wouldn't normally go through with gravity alone. If I was going to do it I think I might even spring for a little check valve. You could pump enough pressure in that 5-gallon bucket in probably 7 or 8 pumps to last for the entire bucket. I'm not talking 40 psi, but just a little bit to push the water through. For the cost of a gamma seal lid and a fitting, might make life easier for you, and at the end of the day the gamma seal lid would keep contaminants out of your filter bucket...

·
Beater
116 Posts
Holes in a tin can hung on the side of a bucket is as simple, and effective as it gets. Scoop out the water and hang it on the side of one bucket and wash your hands while water drains from the holes.
As previously mentioned this means the handwash station isn't hands-free, the only thing you should be touching with your poopy mits is the soap. Grabbing a tin can and dipping it in the water will cross-contaminate eventually, are you putting drops of bleach in the water after each use?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Gravity Water Filter:
5 Gallon Bucket
Paint Filter for 5 gallon bucket (pre-filter)
GHT bulkhead fitting
GHT to 3/8" Barb, swivel.
3/8" ID hose
3/8" Barb to 1/4" MNPT
10" Filter Housing - thread side on this dictated the size of the inlet/outlet/hose.
1 micron pleated filter
3/8" barb to 1/4" MNPT

Filters 5 gallons in under 10 minutes.. new. Likely will be significantly less after next week's trip down Deso.

1 Micron filter should be sufficient to filter out bacteria. Chemical (Chlorine) disinfection for viruses. A lot of people will just use the filter and never get sick.

Disregard the mess.

View attachment 68105
Nice... Super similar to mine. One thing I've found on the output tube is I don't really need one. Just a nub enough to hang the filter on the water jug. I haven't found the 1 micron abs filters to clog up quickly at all. I'll usually use a few other buckets to settle/water wizard/alum if needed and then pour into the input bucket. I like to finish off with liquid aquamira. Gravity works great, keep it simple.

Didn't even break it out on deso a couple weeks ago, just treated the rock creek water.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice... Super similar to mine. One thing I've found on the output tube is I don't really need one. Just a nub enough to hang the filter on the water jug. I haven't found the 1 micron abs filters to clog up quickly at all. I'll usually use a few other buckets to settle/water wizard/alum if needed and then pour into the input bucket. I like to finish off with liquid aquamira. Gravity works great, keep it simple.

Didn't even break it out on deso a couple weeks ago, just treated the rock creek water.
I've also use a very similar system from Vital Water Products for several years with great results. Also the bucket can double as a handwasher reservoir.

441 - 460 of 477 Posts