Mountain Buzz banner

381 - 400 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to use simple plastic saw horses for legs on my table, but today I made some more permanent legs out of 3/4" EMT and maker fittings.

It solves the "bring less bulk" problem but it's definitely not as stable.

Thinking I need to figure a way to secure the legs out while the straps limit that movement in and I'm open to suggestions. View attachment 60129 View attachment 60130
Could always sew a cam lock on a 8" or so piece of webbing and screw it on a couple inches from the edge, then sew a loop and put it on the crossbar of the legs, when open, they work to pull the legs out. When closed, you can cross the strap to the alternate side and it keeps the legs tight and closed, and no long straps flapping around. If that doesn't make sense I could draw it out and send you a message. Was thinking the longer strap length for the cam buckle to keep it away from the tubes when strapped to the frame.

·
Definite maybe
778 Posts
Just a quick propane fire pit. Im assuming CO will have fire restrictions this year. I had some copper tubing, had a 50 cal can. Had to buy a few fitting, a regulator, and a air mixer. Cheap an easy. Probably have 40 minutes into it.

Reactions: GeoRon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got a parts list for that? How often did you drill the holes and what diameter? I'd love to make one but don't know a ton about propane. Is it fit for 1 lbs or larger tank ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just get some ceramic or cement fire logs and put them on your blaster with the regulator turned way down. If you really want another ammo can you can store your fire logs in there. Those fire boxes look cool but damn are they expensive for what they are. First time I saw one I thought damn I bet I could make that too but I already have a solution

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Seen this come up in an ad. 175 eas way rto pricey for me so i made my own.
Like Quiggle said, add fire bricks or fire logs--or basalt stones. Propane on its own doesn't give off much heat. Heat the stones which give off radiant heat to heat the bodies.

Tribal people used basalt stones for "sweat rocks". Being igneous and nonporous, they won't explode in a fire. Custom home builders are re-using this old tech and putting basalt in the back of their custom fireplaces instead of fire bricks.

So stones on a blaster does the same thing.

·
Definite maybe
778 Posts
Got a parts list for that? How often did you drill the holes and what diameter? I'd love to make one but don't know a ton about propane. Is it fit for 1 lbs or larger tank ?
Parts list: 1 adjustable regulator, 1 air mixer for propane fire pit. Maybe 2 1/2 feet 3/8ths copper tubing( can be other sizes, i already had this). 1 compression fitting from 1/2 npt to 3/8 compression, 1 3/8 compression fitting 1/4 pipe thread with plug, 1 3/8 sae flare to 1/2 female pipe, 1 1/2 npt jam nut. Drill 1/8 holes (i would do this before putting it in the box cause it was kind of a bitch after). I drilled 7 3/8 holes in can. If you don't the flame will eventually stop coming from the burner and start at the rim of the can. If you want it at the rim of the can don't install an air mixer. And you may not even need a burner. I really only built this cause I thought the ad on Facebook looked cool and way overpriced.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the Volcanno was an MB poster but they may have deleted their original post when they went retail?

I wasn't sure if it needed an air mixer..does your flame burn blue with it?
I assumed no mixer so it would be a yellow flame and mix at the burner?

I hadn't thought about supplying air into the can (7x 3/8 holes) that makes sense that it would burn at the mouth of the can once all the oxygen in the can was burned up...I was thinking I could keep the can dry on the inside with the lid on for transport, but I guess it really doesn't matter!

I'd also considered two flare connections through the can. One with a mixer, one without. Connect to the side with a mixer, cap the other and use it like a cooking grill with blue flames. Connect to the other side with no mixer and cap the mixer side to get yellow ambient propane firepit flames.
I get it! I'm a maker too. If you want to support a small business, here is a discount code! SYOTR2021

I've worked out all the kinks for you.

Thanks.

·
Definite maybe
778 Posts
I get it! I'm a maker too. If you want to support a small business, here is a discount code! SYOTR2021

I've worked out all the kinks for you.

Thanks.
It was a good idea. Thats why i copied it. But its not like this is a new idea. There already is someone on the internet (google diy propane ammo can firepit) who made a whole article of how to build it. I also have 2 homemade frames, homemade trailer, and a small fleet of homemade welded 3 inch "paco pads". Dont be offended, some of us like making it ourselves. If that product was yours i saw with the waterjetted fire holes, it looks nice. Im sure you'll sell a bunch.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A solution without a real problem, maybe?

I never actually damaged any tent poles but also never felt great about putting my tent poles in a dry bag as I was always worried they would get bent in some over zealous rigging disaster. It's also inconvenient to pack them with the tent body because I tend to put the tent and fly in separate bags because I'm often packing up a wet fly where I boat, and I don't own any very long and skinny dry bags.

So I made a hard case for my tent poles using 3" ABS pipe with an end cap and a clean out. Put some scraps of foam in the ends for some protection for the shock chord.

I made something similar a year or so ago for my collapsible weiner roasting sticks to keep the boat safe from the pointy ends.
20210204_132025.jpg
20210204_132106.jpg
20210204_132119.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
A solution without a real problem, maybe?

I never actually damaged any tent poles but also never felt great about putting my tent poles in a dry bag as I was always worried they would get bent in some over zealous rigging disaster. It's also inconvenient to pack them with the tent body because I tend to put the tent and fly in separate bags because I'm often packing up a wet fly where I boat, and I don't own any very long and skinny dry bags.

So I made a hard case for my tent poles using 3" ABS pipe with an end cap and a clean out. Put some scraps of foam in the ends for some protection for the shock chord.

I made something similar a year or so ago for my collapsible weiner roasting sticks to keep the boat safe from the pointy ends. View attachment 62460 View attachment 62461 View attachment 62462
I did the same thing for sand stake and river wing poles when I used them. Added some foot loops for strapping down
National Hardware N245-225 2055BC Strap Loop in Nickel - Loop Chains - Amazon.com

Reactions: Shaft
381 - 400 of 414 Posts