Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to make some decking tables that will live over the drops on my 16ft river cat. I'll be making these from ACX plywood. I'm planning to bend my legs with an emt tube bender and weld a support in between the two feet of each leg.

What diameter EMT should I work with? I'd like to go as light as possible while still having a stout table.

Also please feel free to post up your table designs.

Sent from my VS995 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed your question when I looked to see if anyone replied to mine. Similar question for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are a few photos of one I made using 3/4" EMT conduit with a couple short 1" EMT sections a hinges for the legs. The 3/4" legs are welded to the 1" hinge. The cross bars on the legs are a piece of 1"x1/8" flat bar. The top is ACX plywood coated with Flex Seal. This was my first attempt at a table. I'll make another when time permits and will do a few things different however this one did not turn out too badly.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That table looks pretty darn nice for your first attempt. I was thinking flat bar for the cross supports. Looks like it works just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The flat bar welded acros the outside of one set of legs and the inside of the other set is what allows the legs to nest flat against the bottom side of the table top when folded.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My table is 72" x 20" with a 3/4 thinwall EMT frame.

I have a double-rail raft frame, so the table frame is only 54" x 18" to fit inside the frame bay and over my drop bag.

1" EMT for the hinge. I have loop straps to keep the legs splayed, but I plan to rebuild and use a 3/4"-1" sleeve with a pin. The straps stretch slightly and make the table wobbly.

There are small tabs on the inside of the frame that the legs snap into when they fold. Because they meet in the middle, this table is only about 27" high (cocktail/stove) height. It seems low when all the others are ~42" high, but it's easier for short people to wash dishes at this table!!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Weld washers to the sides of the EMT. Screw through holes into plywood. (what I did in the table above your post)

Or use EMT clamps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weld washers to the sides of the EMT. Screw through holes into plywood. (what I did in the table above your post)

Or use EMT clamps.
View attachment 62790
Well my question was a little misleading. The bigger picture here is that I am trying to also make a frame that breaks apart using 1" EMT. Trying to figure out how to attach the inner pipe with the outter pipe. If you look at this link, zoom into the connections between the plywood and the frame. Its the same sort of connection that my old frame has. What is the name for this? a rivet ?

18 x 72 Cambridge table finished wood top – Cascade River Gear

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts