Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever home grown a cooler suspension similar to those offered by NRS? Looking to bend some aluminum stock- just wondering if anybody has any input about the job- or would you just spring for the pre-made product?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
448 Posts
or would you just spring for the pre-made product?
I would just forget that those things ever existed. I've never used anything other than plain old straps, and I've never seen an outfitter use anything else either. Save yourself some time and money and forget about 'em.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am with Mike on this. I use loop straps both over and under. A friend had the NRS ones and his cooler was all the time falling out one side or the other.

Jim

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you want to simplify more and possibly save a little more $ don't even use loop straps. Just run a strap all the way around the bay and set the cooler on the straps and rig so you just pull up on the strap and the cooler will rise. Same thing works after the cooler is in the bay just go over the top of the cooler to hold the cooler in place. You can also make your own loop strap with a knot. Most outfitters don't use loop straps, just one more item to inventory.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,271 Posts
I got a deal on the NRS ones (free until he asks for them back!) and they have worked well for me. I used to have the cooler in a dropbag and I row sitting on top of it in my cat frame. It was constantly shifting. I felt straps alone would have the same problem for me as the dropbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to avoid having the cooler move when I step on it- not liking the idea of another drop bag

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
I hang my cooler with straps. I solved the roll problem when using as a seat on a Grande Ronde trip once, by pulling out the old hatchet, and making a couple of wood wedges to put between the cooler and the frame to snug it up. that fixed that problem. I suppose a permanent fix would have been to sandwich the cooler against the frame tighter. (my cat frame is welded so that would not have been an option, but for an NRS frame you could probably pull that off)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I made some "hard" aluminum straps for my pelican cooler. They are like the nrs ones but thicker aluminum and dont have straps in them. They work perfectly, the only down side is that they are cut and bent specifically for my cooler and are of no use on anything but a pelican.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got the NRS ones free with my frame. It's an adjustable frame that fits my Yeti tight. The NRS hangers have worked great with no roll or slip. That said, if they hadnt been free, I would be fine with straps only. I dont think the aluminum angles would be worth the effort to cut and bend.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
95 Posts
I run straps through a piece of plywood cut to the size of the cooler bay. Cooler sits on wood, rock solid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
It would be trick if Roto Molded coolers came with attached hanger brackets like dry boxes do. Seems like something worth looking into.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine sits in a drop bag to catch the empties and keep them out of the bottom of the boat.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

·
Registered
462 Posts
I cut slots in some left over 1/8in decorative veneer ply and spar urethaned the crap out of it. Ran some crappy (extra) straps through it and it's as solid as a rock.

·
Registered
679 Posts
One set of 8' straps for the bottom of the cooler and one set of 6' straps for the top - it will not move until you loosen the straps. Same for the drybox. Keep it simple is my philosophy. Those NRS cooler/drybox support thingies are totally worthless IMO.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I run straps through a piece of plywood cut to the size of the cooler bay. Cooler sits on wood, rock solid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I normally just hang my cooler from straps as it does not get used as a seat. But when I did use it as a seat this ^^^^^^^ is how I did it and it was always very solid. My original frame came with those NRS pos thingy's and I despised them. They are on long term loan to somebody; I don't recall, nor care whom.

On my current set up I use a cross bar on the back side of my cooler and an NRS foot bar on the front using loops straps to suspend it. I also have a hard floor strapped into my rowers bay; the drop floor wedges between my cooler in the front and dry box underneath me. In the process it stabilizes both.. That setup also lends to a rock solid cooler platform that does not rock either.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It might be the slots that are the key and not the bends in the aluminum. On the NRS ones the strap is put through the aluminum several times to lock them in place and keep the cooler from shifting. I also like how one side is fixed and the other is adjustable, that way if you are sitting on it and want the angle to be a bit down forward you can do it.

I never really thought about it when I bought mine, they were probably way less expensive 10 years ago, but I use the NRS ones for both my cooler and dry box. They do work great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a setup that used a single piece of plywood as the rear beaver board and came forward under the cooler bay. It was cheep but effective if your going to use a beaver board anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts