Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a couple of threads on building/re-building pumps, but I didn't see this addressed.

If you have the one way Leafield valves, do you need the "one way" check valve that is in most commercial barrel pumps (NRS, Carlson) or would it be feasible to just have the typical hole in the top cap to relieve the pressure on the up stroke?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
the check valve inside my nrs pump fell out (bad glue job by nrs) and I didn't notice it except for the rattling. So if you have leafield valves you don't necessarily need a check valve although the pump will probably work a little better with it, ...

we also use the pump to "stoke a fire" so you probably want this valve for that purpose (or for pumping up air mattresses).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
you can probably order one of these from NRS I think its like $5 or $10 to replace the internals of their pump ....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the check valve inside my nrs pump fell out (bad glue job by nrs) and I didn't notice it except for the rattling. So if you have leafield valves you don't necessarily need a check valve although the pump will probably work a little better with it, ...
Funny you mention that. I literally just repaired my NRS pump a couple weeks ago. They didn't have the old style round check valve so I just cleaned up and re-glued the original one back in the tapered fitting and put a new top on it.

Another hack glue job as well. The handle broke off the piston and the check valve broke off the tapered fitting. Both because of bad glue. I used PVC Hot Glue so its not coming apart. I figure if I have to repair again, I can make it nearly brand new for about $20 as long as the barrel and base stay in tact.

The reason I asked the original question is I think I could build a very similar one VERY easily without the check valve. Now if I could find the source of those valves......

we also use the pump to "stoke a fire" so you probably want this valve for that purpose (or for pumping up air mattresses).
That is a great idea. I have a fire pit at home and sometimes the wood gets damp and I'm using mu ball cap to stoke. The pump would be much better.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Nrs sells all the barrel pump parts except the 5" pipe and the base. At one point they had these listed on their web site for $5 apiece. I was gonna make my own $50 barrel pump if only i had the barrel. The hose and checkvalve might be worth buying from them if you want to design your own 4" pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts