Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's crackin' ya'll?

I had a horrific crash a few years back up on Bethoud Pass and dislocated both shoulders and cracked my sternum. I tried paddling a few times since but keep dislocating on the rolls (both sides). I can pop them back in pretty easy but you can imagine the pain. Doctors told me to give it up. Has anyone been through this? Any recommendations? I can row my raft and drift boat with no problems or pains, and my braces are pretty stong in the yak, they just pop when in the wrong (or right) position. Is there any hope without surgery? I've done the thera-band and other therapies trying to strengthen but not much luck. Not looking to compete or rodeo much but I'd like to throw some wave wheels, blunts, and a few spins once again. Any help or comments would be gr8tly appreciative.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just read the July post from shady and others about shoulders. Guess I'm not the only one? Got the info I need so no need to reply to this thread. Thanks Rob

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
yeah i feel your pain on that one. i wish i had a cure but i dont, i kind of just go with it.....if it happens it happens, if you can put it back it by yourself then youre set

·
no tengo
1,871 Posts
my wife dislocated paddling and it would always come out until surgery. they have some pretty good docs and techniques these days - its not something that can heal itself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my wife dislocated paddling and it would always come out until surgery. they have some pretty good docs and techniques these days - its not something that can heal itself.
What would she say the sugery put her back to... i.e. 75% - 100%

Was is a tore labrum or rotator cuff issue?

Thanks for the info.

·
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!
109 Posts
Whats Up Yall

So the knife it was for me. I would suggest you get to a Dr. asap Dr Abott at Vail Summit ortho fixed me up 4 weeks ago. I had a torn labrum repair and a 'boney bankhart' repair he had to put 1 screw in and a few sutior anchors. Im sure they can do somthing to help you like a Glenoid capsul reduction.. may be. I would not give up all hope. All though I did have to give up skiing due to a bad car crash. I destroyed my left knee and bolth my hips and pelvis. So... I get back in a boat and screw up my shoulder what a way to get back to boating. But back to you go see a Dr. Get a MRI and get ready to deal with some BS if you need the knife. I would say 4 weeks out Im douing good every thing feels tight and they say I will be 100% by January. The knife was my only choice it may be the best rought for you. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to pm me with any questions.

·
Registered
354 Posts
go to the doc

Surgery is the only way to go. Make sure you do all the rehab. I dislocated 50-100 before I had surgury 5 years ago and haven't had any problems since. Learn how to keep your limbs out of compromising positions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Surgery is the only way to go. Make sure you do all the rehab. I dislocated 50-100 before I had surgury 5 years ago and haven't had any problems since. Learn how to keep your limbs out of compromising positions.

It's interesting to hear from paddlers who have gone through it. I'm a little over 3 dozen dislocations right now. I was told that I've waited too long and surgery wouldn't help me at all. Man the bs you hear from folks who think they know.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
It's interesting to hear from paddlers who have gone through it. I'm a little over 3 dozen dislocations right now. I was told that I've waited too long and surgery wouldn't help me at all. Man the bs you hear from folks who think they know.
with that much in/out/in/out, your labrum is confetti at this point man. the labral cartilege forms the "suction cup" (not really a "cup", more like a golf tee) that keeps the humeral head in place. the rotator cuff muscles back the humeral head up & lock it in. but no matter how strong yr rotator cuff is, if you have shredded cartilege, you're going to dislocate over & over. get that shit stitched up!

talk to a hundred different doc's (& PT's) until you find the right one who "gets" what you do & where you want to be in a year's time. it's an elective surgery, so you have the luxury of time to research. i brought my powerbook into doctors office & showed them video & pics of what i do.

as for metrics, i had 190 degrees of shredded labrum fixed back in the beginning of october (no bone or RC damage). i was paddling easy stuff infrequently by december. & fully back in the game by march/april. i followed an aggressive back-to-sport program under the supervision of a couple PTs who "got it". yoga & indoor climbing really helped during the winter too. and, knock on wood, i haven't had any issues since.

good luck .. make it happen.

·
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!
109 Posts
GO TO A DOC

I agree 100% get to DR ASAP the longer you let it go the worse it gets. I had bone damage. SO I will heal quicker but you MUST DO THE REHAB AND PT. Personal Torture but it will help. Take a year off I know it sucks but it is the rest of your life, and get they S?!t fixed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The biggest things is you have to do the PT work your way back up SLOWLY. Also begin to understand what causes the dislocations so you can avoid it. Learn how to do a strong brace that is low enought not to endanger your shoulder and ingrain it into muscle memory. Good Luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
many thanks...

I just wanted to thank you guys for your candid replies and concern. I sat on here for awhile last night reading that escalante bit and have greater appreciation for this site. Each region may have there own characteristics and offer something a little different than the rest but the community here in the Rockies seems to be pretty tight. Looking forward to seeing some of you out on the water. Rob

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have had a bad shoulder since high school. It's been out 20+ times. I find that if I am religious about the gym, and keeping the muscle around it built up, it stays in. The minute I take a 60 day period off of the weights, it comes out. I've heard good things here about the surgery, and have had friends who have had the surgery and had it back out in the next year. The only solution I've been able to sell myself on its to keep after the lifting. When it comes out, it always is at the worste possible time.

Ken

·
Registered
709 Posts
Keep in mind that every injury is DIFFERENT. With that said, go see what your options are and if you decide to go surgery great.

As someone eluded to earlier, the labrum is generally torn during a dislocation. It's a sheath of cartilage that surrounds the head of the humorous and helps keep it in. If you had a small tear, which I highly doubt, it's about a 3 month recovery.. If you had a full tear, which is more probable from what you describe then you're looking at a year away from paddling.

Just go see some docs and don't take too much advice from the people on Mtn Buzz that might not even have the same injury that you have.

:)

Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
surgery. don't do artho either, it doesnt work as much with kayaking. after surgery it dislocated twice more and had open 3 weeks ago. we'll see how it goes, but surgery for sure. good luck. only downside is u cant do anything for 3 months

·
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!
109 Posts
Keep in mind that every injury is DIFFERENT. With that said, go see what your options are and if you decide to go surgery great.

As someone eluded to earlier, the labrum is generally torn during a dislocation. It's a sheath of cartilage that surrounds the head of the humorous and helps keep it in. If you had a small tear, which I highly doubt, it's about a 3 month recovery.. If you had a full tear, which is more probable from what you describe then you're looking at a year away from paddling.

Just go see some docs and don't take too much advice from the people on Mtn Buzz that might not even have the same injury that you have.

Scott

True we may not have a the same injuries but a bum shoulder is a bum shoulder. I think those of us that have had to have the knife my know a thing or 2 about boating related shoulder injuries.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've been under the knife for shoulder injuries. I had a labrum repair and a glenoid cap reduction 2 years ago.

Either way, every surgery is different and almost all of the tears are going to be different just as the patient is different.

Surgery worked well for me. I had arthroscopic since it is not only the preferred method among orthopedics but it's also the least likely to get infected and the quickest recovery. Lots of trials support the reason that they are doing what they are doing these days.

·
Boof it like you stole it
86 Posts
after surgery...

after I was scoped, I started boating and my shoulder came out a few times. I used to try to "rodeo," so I strapped my elbow to my pfd, with a cam strap. You can create the length desired, tie it off, and your arm only has so much freedom. Yeah, yeah, kinda scetchy if you're swimming into an undercut.
Now, it's been (knock on wood) three solid years of paddling without problems.....good luck!

·
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!
109 Posts
Hey BOOFYAK I have herd of the webbing tied to the pfd before. Can you explain how you do it. I had to have my shoulder opened up and I had no infections at all. GA is correct we are all different and so are the injuries we have. I do think that the more feed back you can get from people is helpfull.8)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a doc tell me once about the strap but I didn't think it would work. I may get on an easy wave with it strapped just to see. Thanks again for the info.

Another question. Does anyone notice a difference between AT paddles and a straight shaft paddle like the freestyle? Believe it or not but the straight shaft seems to be easier on me. Does that make sense?

We are like snowflakes... each is different yet all the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts