Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living within 30 mins of State Bridge I jumped into river life with a duckie this year and I'm hooked. After running Ruby Horsethief a few weeks ago I'm looking for a 14' raft that I can put an expedition frame on for next season. Figured there would be a good opportunity to pick up 2015 inventory and sit on it until the spring. Is this a thing in the rafting community? Are there companies that are running sales to get rid of their inventory heading into winter?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, call Riverboat works in Salida, DRE in Denver, CKS (maybe has rafts). Check these classifieds here. OR to startout get a Rocky Mtn Raft. Great deal for a new boat.

Locally: call Lakota, Sage & Timberline. They will have used fleet available.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would highly recommend a Rocky Mountain Raft. Mine has been great and a new one is still cheaper than most used rafts. Quality has been excellent and mine has been through unbelievable amounts of tough love. Ive had it for 4 years and Me and a few others learned to row on it, so you know we have banged it into every rock out there. This year Ive done over 30 days on the river and many many overnight and multiway trips. I load it up with tons of weight too. No complaints. But nothing beats a good used raft package. Because you will spend several thousand on all the other gear. (ice chest, straps, oars, drop bags, ext.) The small stuff adds up real quick

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath on finding anything better than 10-15% off.

If you're open to buying something used you should be able to find something that is almost good as new for 30%+ off retail prices. Every now and then a fully rigged boat with lots of life pops up for over 50% off. Hypalon boats that are taken care of even in the slightest can last 40+ years.

Even if you deck your boat out with 100% budget accessories it will cost around 2k to get all of it. And that number quickly jumps closer to 4 or 5k if you buy a Yeti, Sawyers, etc.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So this got me looking, Cascade outfitters has almost all their RMR on sale right now.. They are also listing a dropstitch floor option in all the raft sizes 12 to 16. Last i heard they where only doing the dropstitch in the 14'er. Is this an error by cascade or something new that I haven't herd of nor can I find any info on elsewhere.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My other recommendation is not to mess around with cheap stuff to rig out your boat, bc you will just end up re-buying it the next year. Get a nice cooler, get a nice, well everything. I actually have a partner in my boat and we split the cost of everything 50/50 and we both use the boat a ton.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep, RMR is a solid boat. Bought a 14' last spring and I absolutely love it. I think I recently saw a classified on the Buzz about discounts on blemished RMRs as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My other recommendation is not to mess around with cheap stuff to rig out your boat, bc you will just end up re-buying it the next year. Get a nice cooler, get a nice, well everything. I actually have a partner in my boat and we split the cost of everything 50/50 and we both use the boat a ton.
Solid advice! I've learned that lesson through many years of photography and now with aerial videography. Would rather do the research up front and spend more to get quality gear than have to rebuy a year or 2 later because I went the entry level route. And if it doesn't work out there's alway stable resale value on better equipment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, RMR is a solid boat. Bought a 14' last spring and I absolutely love it. I think I recently saw a classified on the Buzz about discounts on blemished RMRs as well.
Definitely interested in the RMR route but I'm not thrilled with PVC...but the price is definitely right.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definitely interested in the RMR route but I'm not thrilled with PVC...but the price is definitely right.
Unless the weight is a concern or the space a rolled up raft would take up forget about it. I have a storm and the PVC is bullet proof. The bottom is a double layer and tough as hell.
If you're interested in an RMR check out WWW.theboatboat people .com Lee has great deals and very knowledgeable and straight up honest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have demo'd the RMR and was not a big fan. They don't track well due to the position of the floor. Be advised. You don't need everything at once either. It has taken me 10 years to compile all the gear we have now. If you are going to get a PVC boat under 3k get a Vanguard. Ask yourself why do so many outfitters use vanguards and none use RMR???

·
Registered
143 Posts
Vanguard

I have demo'd the RMR and was not a big fan. They don't track well due to the position of the floor. Be advised. You don't need everything at once either. It has taken me 10 years to compile all the gear we have now. If you are going to get a PVC boat under 3k get a Vanguard. Ask yourself why do so many outfitters use vanguards and none use RMR???
The answer to that is salesmanship, or perhaps saleswomanship. The gal that does vanguard has a long track record with respect to rafts, probably trained by Richard not to diminish her own talents.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree that Holly does a great job selling but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a great product. Salesmanship may get you the first order but a high quality product keeps them coming back. I have used and abused vanguards as a guide and now own one privately. I understand RMR is the new guy on the block but time will show those boats are inferior.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I understand RMR is the new guy on the block but time will show those boats are inferior.
Care to elaborate? Not looking for confrontation, but RM is one manufacturer I'm considering for a near future purchase and I'd like to know the basis of your opinion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts