Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking like the region around the Dirty Devil is making a strong showing for snow this year which leads me to believe it may have runnable flows at some point again this season, even if we get much drier the remainder of the year.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf

Kind of excited to have April and May open this season and a lot of debit time with my wife since she is traveling to Europe for two weeks with work in March (not to mention a week of scuba diving with them in the summer in Catalina). Works out nicely since we don't have the funds for many multi-day raft trips this summer.

Hell, if southern Idaho keeps up I may finally get to play on the upper Owyhee or Bruneau this year.

Phillip

·
over the horizon
290 Posts
Surprisingly the Dirty region still appears strong. Any guesses on the peak? That river is high on my list. I would also love to tick off the Chute of Muddy Creek some day.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,275 Posts
I am expecting a one man cat soon from Custom Inflatables that I think I will be able to rig for tight multi day trips. The DD fits the bill perfectly for what I have in mind and would be very interested in joining a group going. Also, I have no trips in April and some three day weekends plus vacation to make it happen!
Bnfml, it would be fun to hang out again!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,275 Posts
Gremlin, what is Attila building for you? Dimensions?
Ten foot 15 inch diameter tubes with a 14" wide seat so a total width of 44". It will have about three feet of tube in front and behind the seat. I'm going to experiment with lacing an 18" "floor" in these spaces to carry some gear and run it as a paddlecat. If that won't work I will build a small frame for it. I don't want to add more than, probably, 75 lbs. on top of my body weight but if I go backpacker style, that is a lot of gear!

Otherwise it will be a fun little boat for local rivers/creeks that I can't fit the 16' cat down.

Attila built an IK for my wife last year and she loves it so I decided to take a chance and see what he could make for me!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to get in on a DD trip. Don't need much heads up, but hopefully it runs for a couple weeks. What's the usual season, when it has water, mid April?
I have heard mid-March to mid-April is the average range for peak but I haven't checked the historic usgs records in a while to confirm.

I have multiple ideas on the burner for April but the DD is high on the list. I would be rolling out in a tandem IK and would love to go from town to the reservoir in about a week. Is that in line with your style? Won't fully know my options and commitments until the ski season ends the first week of April.

Phillip

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Its hard for me to take a full week. I would probably be looking at a Wednesday or Thursday through Sunday. I would really like to get the DD and the Little Grand Canyon of the SR this season.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Completely understand. Lets stay in touch the next few weeks if interested. Our commuter car just died so a shorter trip is likely more responsible for me (and kinder to my wife) despite my desire to see the entire stretch. Going from Poison Spring to the Res would fit that bill and allegedly hits the best flows and highlights. Tentative trip but I have wanted to float it for several years now.

Never done the Little Grand Canyon or explored much of the Swell north of I-70. Looks like a beautiful stretch of desert. Only floated the Chute of Muddy Creek in the region to the south.

Phillip

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Also interested in the DD. From my reading, I think there is quite a bit to see above the Poison Spring access. Especially Happy Canyon.

The Little Grand Canyon of the San Rafael is a very worthy flat water float.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy and most of the canyons that drop in from the north in the Robbers Roost are all stunning places to explore. From what I have read most people either access from the Landfill Road or Poison Springs. If not including travel time from BV (I assumed that was the case, which is likely wrong???) I would imagine both could be doable in the 4-5 days mentioned. Doable and a great trip.

Does anybody know the flow logistics on the SR? Basin is sitting around 70% but I am not sure how agriculture in the region effects releases. Anybody know if they guarantee a minimum or if they would hold back?

Phillip

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah, BV is home. That timing sounds right for getting down it if there is enough water to avoid an excess of dragging. The "fantasy trip" for me would be longer to allow for lay over(s) and exploring but life intrudes and just getting in there would be wonderful.

Hope someone chimes in on he SR. I did it at 100 in an IK and would do that again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It had never been on my radar until this thread. It would be a great trip for us as we could bolt over Friday and do it on the weekend. She is the paddler in the family so she would be psyched to see it; she is the breadwinner so weekdays during the summer are rough as she leads a bunch of trips with her students already. If it looks like a go I would love to meet up with some of ya'll.

Did you do it as a day trip or overnighter?

Phillip

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Phillip, it's 17 miles. I spent 4 days and 3 nights in there exploring a few years back! Its almost all Wingate. So worthy. I will PM you with a trip concept maybe this evening. Have to go to work now.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phillip, it's 17 miles. I spent 4 days and 3 nights in there exploring a few years back! Its almost all Wingate. So worthy. I will PM you with a trip concept maybe this evening. Have to go to work now.
Sounds like my style. Will keep an eye on the gauges. I piqued my wife's interest in an overnighter in there for a weekend. Big issue for her is hoping it falls in line with her summer schedule. She takes her students down Deso every May so that timeframe is out.

I have lots of freedom but my use it wisely as a husband.

Keep an eye out on weather/gauges and we should talk if you are interested in meeting up in the desert.

Phillip

·
Registered
115 Posts
We're keeping an eye on the gauge and looking at the Dirty Devil either the weekend of March 27th or April 3rd. Would likely do a Thursday - Sunday. Thinking Dry Valley (a bit south of Hanksville) to Poison Springs. If anyone will be down there (flows dependent) the same times and is looking to share a shuttle, please let me know! We can likely be a bit flexible on days before/after the weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts