Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a little interest down here in Costa Rica for combined motorcycle / kayak trips and am curious what some of you buzzers might think...

Basic concept: trailer bikes through urban jungles, mix shuttle with riding, hit up some classic whitewater, and maybe finish up with a trip to the beach.

I'll probably try an experimental 10 day trip of this nature with KLR's in March if anyone is interested in a spring warm-up. Any suggestions can be mailed to me at [email protected]

·
Banned
173 Posts
Dirt bike throught the pristine rain forest, spraying untold amounts of oil and unburned gas, not to mention the eroded trails and noise. Then kayak down the rivers that you are destroying via polluting the groundwater with gas and oil. :twisted:

Very green indeed, bah humbug :cry:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't going to dignify this with a reply, but I'm a glutton and couldn't resist.

There is nothing environmentally friendly about kayaking. It doesn't matter if you drive a hybrid, a dually, or a dirtbike you have to drive the section at least once if not twice to run your shuttle.

As members of the human race and inhabitants of planet earth we all have an impact. How much or how little is a continuous decision-making process we all enjoy.

Most dirtbikes, snow machines, and soon even lawnmowers are powered by 4-stroke motors that blow far less exhaust than the average automobile.

Like the majority of internet posts made in an argumentative and inflamed manner you have made a lot of assumptions. This trip is designed as a way for enthusiasts of both motorcycles and whitewater to merge their passions. By no means would that ever involve riding off-trail in sensitive ecological areas.

Perhaps I can suggest a warm glass of milk and a little catnap. If you are trying to start a long discourse on enviromental impact I suggest you pick a forum more suitable maybe http://www.shutthefuckup.com

·
Banned
173 Posts
That's damage to existing trails, Mr. Foulmouth. Spatter mud everywhere and dig it up!!!!

Sounds Like I hit a nerve, :D go fire up your 2-stroke Snowmobile and enjoy.

BTW, my car could drive from here to Dallas TX and back and produce fewer Hydrocarbons than the average lawnmower.

·
Registered
490 Posts
He got you man. He's just fucking with you, Matt J. Judging from his prior posts, I think he's not too worried about it.

I think you're trip sounds pretty cool. If my plane can take off tomorrow (see pic I just posted), I'm headed to Lima to rod a KLR650, get ruined at the ruins, and surf for 10 days.

Might I suggest that you split up a few days of boating with a rest day of riding. Also, if I was a candidate for the trip, I'd be psyched more on boating than dirtbiking, so I'd skew the majority of the trip towards that. Lots of off-season dirtbiking to do in the estados, not as much boating (in the oeste estados anyway).

. . .or we could give up all our progress of a thousand years, abandon medicine, heat, light and comfort. Probably die just trying to survive, and make everything ourselves out of wood and animal skins. Nah, I don't loathe myself that much yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Whoa, TB.... either im smelling some sarcasm or your starting to sound like a liberal...... some one knock some sense into you? nah probably not

·
Banned
173 Posts
My, my, what a big carbon footprint you have!! Almost as large as Al Gore's!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure package, Matt. I say go for it. Can't go wrong with a dirt bike shuttle.

Try to make it flexable enough, so when people don't feel like being on the water, they can be out dirt bike riding instead.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Dunno about that, but your flatulence is a major cause of global warming, FlowPorch. Not to mention your computer monitor's contribution to the burning of coal for electric power. Finally, your lack of Education clearly shows in your automatic resorting to profanity when making an insult.

Lotsa global warming in Denver right now, eh? :p

MattJ, since your company is dedicated to eco-touring as it states in your Mission:

Protecting the Environment
The love for nature, wild and free, is what started RainForest World and because of this love, protecting the environment is not only a goal for our company but a way of life. We strive on a daily basis to maintain a low impact lifestyle in our work and home. From company owned private rainforest reserves to creating an anti-dam river protection organization, RainForest World takes a leading role in the movement to defend the rivers and forests of Cost Rica and is always lending a hand to Mother Nature after all, without her, there would be no eco-tourism.
How does a noisy, polluting, trail damaging craft such as a dirt bike fit in with this?

Are there locally made dirt bikes? Costa Rican?

Working with the Locals
As a foreign adventure travel company, it is important to know and support the people of your host country. RainForest World is committed to maintaining a working relationship with the local communities of Costa Rica. When ever possible we buy local products such as our fleet of Costa Rican made APEX rafts. Our staff is 90% local or "Tico", as they call themselves and stems from Costa Rica's diverse culture of Indian and Spanish heritage. The RainForest World Pacuare Indian Camp is a joint venture between the Silvia Chavez family and our company. This Cabecar Indian family is a large part of the RainForest World design and they add a wonderful experience to our daily lives.
Hope the Cabecar's like gonad numbing, loud, smelly bikes rampaging through their forest.

Cheers, And we wonder why they call us "Ugly Americans"

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Guys if you are going to threadjack then move this to the eddy.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Hey, just had some questions regarding how dirt bikes fit in with a wilderness, eco-tour type vacation. My motives were called into question so I quoted the tour operator's mission and asked how dirt bikes fit in with said mission.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Either way, sounds like a few, "Incovenient Truths," have upset a few peeps.

·
Registered
661 Posts
trout bobber - why are you such a prick all the time? Don't you have something better to do than be an ass on a boating forum? I feel sorry for you.

·
Banned
173 Posts
At least I don't pretend: Pretend to protect a rainforest, pretend I am an eco-tourist, while I trash said rainforest.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I couldn´t get back to computer I was paddling with the Cabecar who guides with me.

Thanks for bringing that mission statement to mind, Phil was just thinking about changing it and you proved the incentive, TB. Evidently, your reputation proceeds you around here so I'm not going to throw any more fuel on your fire, pardon the pun.

Anyone who's more interested in having fun than scanning internet forums feel free to contact me about the trip.

BTW they don't call me an ugly american, they usually call me guapo...

·
Banned
173 Posts
Good, now I know which outfitter to steer my entire club away from. :wink: I am on the Board of Directors..... :twisted:

Let me ask you though, if your Corp Mission is so easily changed, did it ever really mean anything (all that flowery language about the pristine rain forest), or was it just a bunch of jargon to lure rich white tourists into thinking that your outfitter gave a crap? So then, how are you any different from Enron?

Make a profit for the shareholders. You are no better than a slave to corp. America, Matt J. Enjoy.

The environment, truth, Corp mission, principles etc. be dammed, right? Proud of you, profits first, to hell with the rest. :D

Come boat the Rain forest with the Exon Vadez of Costa Rica.

And my lovely wife is making Choc Chip cookies right freaking now, so I am way better than your hippie corp slave butt.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Gentleman, this is the boaters forum. Seriously. Stop the bickering or this thread is gone. Trout, read your PM's

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seriously

Wow!

It took a little while for it to sink in because I'm rather erratic in checking these forums, but I remember your same handle from boatertalk.

First, I'll respond to what little I remember from the load of crap you littered on this post. It is true that riding a four stroke dirtbike has environmental impact, much like everything we do in life. I am comfortable with that impact, enough said.

Second, you can take your club and all its boaters where ever you want. If I ever have to cater to club boaters to make the rent then I'd rather be selling my ass on Colfax.

As for our committment to the environment, as with many elements of life there is balance. After seven years of working in the outdoor industry whether guiding rafts, teaching kayaking, guiding snowmobile trips, or ski patrolling I long ago decided that outside of a personal committment to recycling, carpooling, and other methods of conserving the only positive environmental benefit I as a member of this industry foster is exposing people to nature and hopefully to the benefit of protecting it. I will not defend my every action because just as the chocolate that is in your cookie may be from a clearcut plantation in Africa that displaced Masai so may mine.

And lastly, maybe your antics on these forums provides you with entertainment, maybe you need the attention or you have some other justification. I don't know. I do know that the last time I saw you posting ridiculous garbage all over boatertalk and now with this thread it encourages me to spend my time on the internet else where. So despite whether you care or not your form of inciteful 'free speech' degrades this forum every time you discourage a paddler from utilizing this board. I hope you eventually find something in life more fulfilling than making an ass of yourself on the internet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts