Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to kayaking, but am totally obsessed! Question is this... I have a creeker (mamba) and am curious why I would need another type of boat and what type for what uses? I'm a big guy and can't ever imagine being able to get in a play park and do tricks. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Big guys play boat too. You may not have any desire to learn freestyle, but it will improve your skills. If nothing else you need to learn how to intiate your edges on a planning hull and know how to dig/flush out of a sticky hole. Other types of boats you may or may not be interested in include expedition boats for multi day trips, slalom and squirt boats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a reason (for flows/levels) to have a creeker and a play boat? Like, if the flows are low is a creeker too much boat where maybe a play boat would be just right?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Its relative. I know people that run a play boat down Numbers at 4000 and people that use creekers on Numbers at 300. Depends on what you are trying to do. Play boats are far more maneuverable, sit lower in the water and are slow. Great for catching every eddy and every wave. Creek boats are good for staying on top of the water, boofing and splatting rocks and punching large holes/running waterfalls. You don't "need" a play boat, but like I said earlier it will make you a better paddler and open the world of playparks and park and play to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts