Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Wow, I don't know how I missed this in the news! What a shame...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Those guys always go too fast! Idiots! Seen them come through Keystone at 70 mph in a 45mph! What do they care about a river!

·
Super Moderator
4,258 Posts
Those guys always go too fast! Idiots! Seen them come through Keystone at 70 mph in a 45mph! What do they care about a river!
Long ago I was on the RWB VFD in Breck and we took a Hazmat awareness course w/ a bunch of other Summit County fire departments. A guy from Snake River FD told about watching tanker trucks come barreling through Keystone with their brakes smoking and unable to stop, blowing right through the redlight by the mini-mart.

I also remember hearing a stat that the average trucker involved in accidents on I-70 in the mountains had about 6 months experience, and was usually from somewhere without snow driving.

Be careful out there when you see one of those guys in your rearview.

-AH

·
Registered
579 Posts
So..... will any of it make it's way down to the narrows? Was thinking of laps later this week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
966 Posts
So..... will any of it make it's way down to the narrows? Was thinking of laps later this week. Any thoughts?
I haven't noticed anything on CC in the last couple of days, but I can't help but think it isn't all contained and some has made its way down. I guess not seeing any dead fish is a good sign....

This could improve the taste of Coors...probably not.
yea, I don't anything could do that....

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't think it will be enough to bump the flows up and you probably missed it already.
-d

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4000 gallons (because I wouldn't doubt if it was closer to that) is about 530 cubic feet and it's got 30 or so miles between the spill and the narrows (including a lake) so it's unlikely you'll see/smell any diesel that far down stream of the spill.

My guess is that they'll be able to get most of the surface contamination handled above the Georgetown lake. The stuff that mixes and flows with the flotsam will likely make it to the lake and cause havoc there for many years. It's crazy that the article mentioned that they're still monitoring past spills from years back. Sad.

EDIT: contained was a bad choice.. the 4000 will have dispersed into the habitat before and onto the lake. I don't think they contained the initial 4000 gallons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts