Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like this boards views on these 2 boats. I sold my 8.6 as I found it a bit too big for me, as far as the huge size of the cockpit went, not so much the actual paddling bit. I am trying to decide bet these 2 boats now. Are there any clear cut advantages of one over the other? Will use them mainly for river running in the cl 3 range.

My stats are 205 lbs, inseam 32, average sized thighs.

Thanks v much in advance. I am happy with the outfitting in either.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you found the 8.6 big then you might find the diesel 80 big too. Weight wise i think ur good w/ the diesel 80 but the deck height is tall. I had to put 1 1/2" of foam under my butt to get a good fit at the knees in the diesel 80. All in all I really liked the boat but it was just too big for me. I think both are awesome boats and you should sit in them and pick the one you like the best for you own reasons.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mamba 8.1 is a great boat, but at 180 i find myself to be at the high end for weight range and am looking to move up to the next size for any creeking.

If you only plan on doing class III then you'll be fine though. Never paddled one, but Diesel 80 seems like its more your size.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I still have my 80. Weigh in at 195, it's good river running size. Awesome boat, I went up to a 95 squirrel though and the diesel sits on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Mamba 8.1 and I love it. I am 165 lbs and 5'11". Found the 8.6 too big.
Outfitting is great and really adjustable. Got the seat ALL THE WAY FORWARD for the best control. At 40 lbs more it would likely feel a bit smaller for you. Great boat and good outfitting although I did just remove the storage tray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts