Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big guy: about 195-200 and 6'2''

I've demoed the Diesel 65 and found it was a great boat but a little short. Anyone paddled the 75? I'm looking into a new boat... and I'm not exactly a pro but would like to get into more river running and moderate creeking. A little play here and there but not a big concern.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Try the Nomad 8.5. It looks huge, but it paddles sooo nice. I like the fact that I can stuff and paddle, rescue gear, lunch and a big bottle of gatorade and it doesn't paddle any different. It holds a line in heavy water and resurfaces faster than any boat I've paddled. The cockpit is confortable & somehow keeps your posture more upright. Once you've paddled it a couple of days, it feels like a smaller boat than it is. I tried the Diesel 75 (just in clear creek), but I thought the stern was a little grabby for a creeker. I didn't get a chance to test this theory, but I thought that if you loaded that boat it would paddle very differently. Personally, I think that if you're looking for a creeker, get a true creeking hull. I know some folks will disagree and point to all the hard runs they've done in the Diesel, but I like the forgiveness of a displacement hull. I'm also not that great of a playboater, so I'm not fixed on a planing hull.

I recently switched from a Micro 240, which I paddled off and on for the past 3 years. Didn't love it, but it was the best boat I could find for my size (6'4", 180lbs). Cracked three of them.

Owned a Embudo for half a season. Thought it was a little too fast for a creeker and that the bow did not have enough rocker- I kept piton-ing the bow in bony creeks. Great in big water, though, and I wish everyone used blow-molded plastic.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting, I'll check out the nomad. What I really liked about the Diesel was it's versatility, use it pretty much anywhere. With the 65, I'm at the top of the weight scale, so it handled differently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts