Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to kayaking. I got a couple of questions. I am looking for an all round boat to do some river running and play boating. Currently I have an opportunity to try out a diesel 75 and Jackson super fun. What are some thing I should look for or try when I am trying out the boat?

Also which one would you guys recommend to a newbie for both of my boating styles? BTW I am located in MD if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you want to play much you would probably like the fun more... Biggest thing when picking a boat out is fit. Make sure it is comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried both boats. Both of them fit well, there is more room in the jackson, but the diesel worked well too. Currently I weight 245, which I know is over the diesel weight limit. But I do plan on being 200 by December and hopefully under 200 by next year. This weight loss is not an option, got to look good in a tux when I get married next yr=)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to kayaking. I got a couple of questions. I am looking for an all round boat to do some river running and play boating. Currently I have an opportunity to try out a diesel 75 and Jackson super fun. What are some thing I should look for or try when I am trying out the boat?

Also which one would you guys recommend to a newbie for both of my boating styles? BTW I am located in MD if that helps.

Thanks!

Yup.. fit fit fit. Wavesport outfitting fits me better than Jackson does. Try them both in the water if you get the chance. The Jackson is 5 gal less than the Diesel. So go based on the fit and your size. I like the volume of the SFun but the Diesel just fits me better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome I will trying them both out tomorrow in the water....hopefully, if my cold doesn't take over

·
Registered
183 Posts
I paddle the SF. I'll run it down almost anything up to class five big. The diesel has zero play options, but is known for its ability to creek most stuff. No learning tricks, but it does front surf well. Seasons about done and there will be good deals on boats until mid Feb, both new and used. If you are planning on losing a shitton of weight, today might not be the day you want to drop a G on a boat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am looking for an all round boat to do some river running and play boating.
There is a good chance that the Diesel is going to feel much more forgiving on the water to you than the Super Fun. But if you are looking to play your way down the river, I think the Super Fun is going to be the better boat for you, even if at first you don't feel as stable in it. The Diesel is probably not going to be much of a player.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the responses. I am going to be testing out both boats today in flat water. Is there anything you guys recommend I should look out for?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just spent some time in both of the kayaks. The sf feels a lot more stabe then the 75. In the 75 I kept doing 180. Where as in the sf I could go a good distance before I did a 180. The 75 felt like it could roll anytime. As for comfort, both of them felt good but I can get in and out of the sf much more easier then the 75. Looks like the sf has my vote. Btw I tried both boats twice to verify my findings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts