Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was kinda wondering the same thing. It was fairly chilly up there this weekend so I see that affecting it. You could see your breathe in the morning, and never got much about 50's, when you did get a glimpse of the hills seemed to be some fresh dust up top. The river seemed to steadily drop each day we were there.

Not much snow in surrounding peaks in the valley, wonder how the headwaters up towards Leadville look.....

·
Registered
795 Posts
My guess is yes......unfortunately. Although, I think we'll see it come back up.....how high?? who knows.......it's been colder and rainy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think there is any way it will get back up there. Unless the colligates erupt as volcanoes and melt all the existing snow at once...

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is snowing in Fairplay and anyplace high right now. In BV it is raining and only 44 degrees. The Ark will rise again once it warms up again as this cold spell has been going on for 4 days with more days to come. I am seriously watching big heavy flakes fall outside my office. It looks like I made the right desision to take the Audi over the motorcycle today!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It looked to me like there was still a lot of snow up there. Seems like every year around this time someone starts questioning whether or not we've peaked and inevitably most people say yes, and then a hot spell comes along and flows spike again. Not sure if it's a peak or not, but my bet is flows will make a good climb back up before the end of the season on the Ark.

I think a lot of the recent fluctuation has to do with artificial controls.

·
Registered
386 Posts
not quite yet...

due to the cold weather, the snow has momentarily stopped melting. The ark has dropped about 800 cfs in the past 4 days. Right now, it is pounding snow in the upper drainage, so we may actually be repairing our snowpack. My guess is that whenever the sun comes back, the new snow will melt, and hopefully bring the ark back up to peak flows. keep in mind that we are having an early year, so who knows what will happen

·
Registered
807 Posts
I love this type of talk. We need to be sitting around a bar while doing it though...My guess is that the Ark will come back up quite a bit but maybe not as high as it already got. Super hard to predict on the Ark because most of us have no idea when water users are timing deliveries during the run off. This is similar to what happened last year but we don't have as much snowpack this year. Whatever snow we are getting right now in the high country will not likely add a ton of length to the run off, but the cold temps are just what we needed to slow things down. When it gets warm again we will see another spike but, I am betting that by FIBArk week we are on the way down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just drove Indy on Sunday and there was a fair amount of snow left, but it was red with dust... It will spike again, I'm sure, but I think it will be in a few days and then it will come down fast.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If it ever quits raining it may come up again... Talked with some of the water folks the other day and it looks like the Ark should run 700 until Aug 15th..

Harv it is time to get in some Ark creekin... Clock is tickin on Clear she is down to 170.... If it gets above 200 again you should come up and bring some of them salida playboatin types along.... Or if they start pumpin up at lake again I would rather go up there..... Don't worry I have a couple of extra burns and a m3 in the shed as I know most boaters from saliva dont seem to own a creek boat...... :p:p

Sorry it must be the pimp in me that is talkin shit this AM.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the input!

JV - I'll be out in the Valley June 15-18! Hope to hook up with ya'll. It's been years since I've been in the Valley. Shoot me a quick email, I'm getting a group of the "old" BJ dudes together on the 15th.......Shane, Campy, my brother, Ned Stitt.
captainpanic247atyahoodotcom
Topher

·
Registered
807 Posts
If it ever quits raining it may come up again... Talked with some of the water folks the other day and it looks like the Ark should run 700 until Aug 15th..

Harv it is time to get in some Ark creekin... Clock is tickin on Clear she is down to 170.... If it gets above 200 again you should come up and bring some of them salida playboatin types along.... Or if they start pumpin up at lake again I would rather go up there..... Don't worry I have a couple of extra burns and a m3 in the shed as I know most boaters from saliva dont seem to own a creek boat...... :p:p

Sorry it must be the pimp in me that is talkin shit this AM.....
The funny thing is I don't have a creek boat anymore but not because I have been playboating so much...all wildwater for me these days. I am down for a Clear Creek run or Upper lake to brains depending on the flow. Keep me in the loop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's up Mike!! Hope to run into you while I'm out visiting! I'd love to talk to you about the Holtwood project and all.

·
Registered
807 Posts
What's up Mike!! Hope to run into you while I'm out visiting! I'd love to talk to you about the Holtwood project and all.
Hey Topher. Don't know when you are coming out but swing by my office in Salida, top of the WW Park, and lets catch up.

It is looking more likely that the peak was back in May, about as early as I can remember. We are down under 3 inches of water in the snowpack and we have not had a warm day around here since first two weeks of May, literally. The run off has slowed ever since it cooled off around the 3rd week of May but I am thinking we just never had another good warm spell while there was enough snowpack to cause another spike.

If it gets hot I bet the river comes up a little, but overall I am thinking we are done. On the positive note we have had a ton of moisture and I am hoping that will help keep the bottom from falling out. Weird run off this year. Anyone else have a theory?

·
Registered
23 Posts
so, the boss says I can't take my two PFD'd labs down browns because it is to dangerous. the dogs and I are on a 14ft cat, they've done the upper c from pumphouse to dotsero at 3500 no problemo.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
so, the boss says I can't take my two PFD'd labs down browns because it is to dangerous. the dogs and I are on a 14ft cat, they've done the upper c from pumphouse to dotsero at 3500 no problemo.
First off, that has nothing to do with the Ark having peaked or not...the upper C and Brown's have very different characteristics, mainly the upper C is super easy. I see people take their dogs down Brown's all the time, I guess it would depend on your familiarity with it and your ability to manuever your craft.

Mike, I think you are absolutely right. If we get some sunny warm days in a row soon, we might see another small spike, otherwise it's going to continue to slowly fade...strange season indeed, started running the Ark in feb. this year with the early releases, and it looks like the peak was May 19 or 20th on LC, CC, Chalk Creek and SF Ark.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah I think at this point I would be stoked with some weather worthy of shorts and flip flops and hope that it stays over 1000 until July 1. I am not complaining. We have certainly endured way worse seasons than this one has been.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts