Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a Grand Canyon trip in July and am contemplating taking out at South Cove instead of Diamond Creek. The level of Lake Mead is forecast to continuing falling to elevation 1092 in July. How long will the float take from Diamond Creek without a motor and what conditions should I expect besides being baked?

· Registered
159 Posts
It's about 70 miles below Diamond. Last summer there was current just about four miles above South Cove. So, two very long days. Or three reasonable days. Add a night float to your two days, and you'll be fine. Just make sure someone is watching out for when you exit the Grand Wash Cliffs. or make sure you do it during the day. Pearce Ferry rapid is a little ways after that. It's a great stretch, and hot as hell. The rapids below Diamond are worth it alone. I'll be heading out to the lake in a few weeks, so if there is anything drastically different I'll post about it.

· Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.