Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is the shuttle, really? I've heard everything from you must have a high clearance 4x4 and plan on busting several tires, to no big deal at all. Really confusing. How would a Subaru manage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6 hours? Ouch. I was told much less. Any info on what cars can make it, and how much damage they'll take? We plan on using River Runners Shuttle, but don't want vehicle damage.

Thanks!

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Yup, I've done the shuttle myself, not fun and wastes too much time. If you do the regular route any car can make it. It is a dirt road, but it's in pretty decent condition. You don't need 4wd, unless it rains of course.

I've dealt with River Runners for over 5 years now and know the owners personally. They are great people, take care of your vehicle and always drive in convoy with a lead driver not going faster than 5 mph over the speed limit. Make sure to leave some tip for the drivers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ditto for River Runners. Used them a couple of times. Car/trailer always at the TO in good shape.
Flying to the rim and walking down is cool too.
But on the road in, keep your speed down, it's the front tires kicking up sharp rocks which cut your back tires (or so I've heard).

·
Registered
156 Posts
We've used River Runners the last four years and will be using them again next week. We've never had any damage or problems at all on the roads, even with trailers. A Subi should be just fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just got off on 8/8. We used river Runners and they did a good job. One of our cars was an Audi A6 and it did just fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. Makes me feel much better.

One more thing... There is River Runners Transport out of Vernal, and River Runners Shuttle out of Green River. Which one is getting all the recommendations?

·
Registered
43 Posts
River Runners for sure. I've used them before and I'm using them again next week. They are a great company. Your Subaru should do just fine. Last time sand wash had flashed the night before driving in, we had a Ford astro van in our group and it made it just fine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yah, River Runners, Vernal. If the Wrinkle Road/Nine Mile Canyon route is in bad shape they'll go back out to the highway and down through Price, but the Wrinkle/Nine Mile is usually good, much better in recent years due to oil and gas drilling on the plateau. They keep the road graded for the trucks. River Runners knows what to do. As far as driving it yourself, yah, could be 6 hours round trip easily taking either route, the highways or Wrinkle/Nine Mile. I always go with the shuttle service.

·
thunderfoot
53 Posts
Jennifer, it is 6 hrs one way and not particularly rough. The nature of the rocks on the road and the gas patch truck traffic make flatting likely. River Runners does a great job, but what i do after 20 years of that shuttle is call Redtail Aviation in Price. Drop your gear at the put in and leave a rigger or two then drive out to Green River. Get a motel and drop your boat haulers at Swasey's then drive to the airport for the shuttle flight. Keep your fliers to 2-3 persons, small light and cute if possible. You will fly up the canyon and land on the bluff right above the put in, (a 30 min walk off). It is faster cheaper and more fun. And you know for sure all the vehicles made it without flat tire upcharges that are fair the other way, but can be a pain for the drivers. If you want all your vehicles @ the take out most hotels will get a driver to follow you out to Swasey and take you to the airport for $20 or so-30 min drive- semi paved. Plan the flight for early morn to avoid turbulence and tip the pilot, if he didn't go inverted. If he did then tip more.
I've done my shuttles this way for 30 years and never regret it on Deso, Cat, ect.
Feel free to contact me for #s and other info. TFoot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts