Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search function here doesn't show any recent information on commercial shuttles from Sand Wash to Swazey's.
I've done this trip a few times, but we've always run our own shuttle, or had local relatives help us.
I've got a permit later in October. Anybody have any recent info on shuttle outfits?
Older threads indicate problems with River Runner's Transport.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have used RRT at least 15 times with no issues for me or anyone else in my groups who used them.

Reactions: 801firefighter

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you can get over the, frankly, scary and onerous legal qaugmire that is the River Runners hiring agreement then they do a pretty good job. Every time I fill one of those out I shiver a little bit and cross my fingers that they don't mess my vehicle up. Luckily, so far they have done a good job and my vehicle has always been in good shape after they shuttled it.

I've always wanted to do the plane shuttle but its expensive and logistically challenging with just one vehicle. I'm spacing their names but there are definitely other options for vehicle shuttles. I think Coyote and US Shuttles maybe?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just off the 1st using RRT. All ok except the key for the lead vehicle was not supposed to be where indicated on the form. It was locked inside the vehicle (with everybody else's keys) instead of where it was to be on an outside location.

As a side note, weather was fantastic with very minimal up river breezes and 1-1/2 days with a good down river wind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
FWIW, there was a long thread this summer on Deso shuttles. Not saying I could find it again, but...

Redtail is the way to go; less costly than other options, you do not have to trust your vehicle to an unknown driver and you get a scenic flight. I have not used RRT on Deso, but have on the Yampa and Lodore and it was fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
River Runners has always treated my group well. We even saw them change a flat tire on a truck before departure at the Lodore put in this past Thursday. (The truck had the flat when they arrived to deliver it to the takeout.)

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I did Redtail a couple of times, was absolutely fabulous, however the drive was a bit of a time suck. The pilot flew us over the river, most cool to see it from the air.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
If you can get over the, frankly, scary and onerous legal qaugmire that is the River Runners hiring agreement then they do a pretty good job. Every time I fill one of those out I shiver a little bit and cross my fingers that they don't mess my vehicle up. Luckily, so far they have done a good job and my vehicle has always been in good shape after they shuttled it.

I've always wanted to do the plane shuttle but its expensive and logistically challenging with just one vehicle. I'm spacing their names but there are definitely other options for vehicle shuttles. I think Coyote and US Shuttles maybe?
Coyote is based out of Moab, and primarilly a Labyrinth / Cataract company. Don't know about US shuttles, haven't heard about them. Years ago, I had 3 very bad experiences with RRT and stopped even considering them. The final experience resulted in 3 vehicles being damaged.. When I called them to file a claim, they related that they aren't even insured.. The "liability release" they have you sign is unbelievable, basically states that even if they are at fault, they aren't liable. Never have I seen such a thing from any other shuttle company, there's a reason RRT has it..

·
Beater
75 Posts
We are 50% on RRT, the first time the vehicles were not at the Swazey takeout and after walking up the road for cell service we discovered that the vehicles were still at the put-in. RRT drivers shuttling other vehicles showed up at the ramp and we demanded they take the majority of the group to Green River to a motel and put them up for the night. (The motel was crappy, the party got rooms elsewhere.) Two of us stayed with the gear (which was already unpacked for transport) next to the ramp, we demanded RRT bring us beer and burgers which they did. The vehicles showed up 24 hours later. In hindsight we all should have just floated down to the state park where we could walk to food and beer if need be. I don't believe there was a discount given.

2nd time there were no issues, I did see RRT at the put-in the day of launch and pointed out our vehicles and verified transport and our take-out date.

Next time we will drop off boats and people at the put-in, take one driver per vehicle, drive to GR via 9-mile and take a flight back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just came off a Deso trip end of september and we used Red Tail Air for a number of reasons. First ,it was significantly cheaper than other services, at $184 per person vs $250 per vehicle, then if you factor in a tip per vehicle of around $50 each or you just tip the pilot $50 once for the whole group. Second, we where able to drive our own vehicle to the take out and therefore if something broke it was our own dang faults. Third, the flight leaves at 7 a.m. from green river and arrives precisly at 7:40 a.m., and after your 30 minute walk to the boats you can put on before 9 a.m. which is nice. Fourth, you fly right over the river most of the way and while I was not on the plane I was told by those that where that it was a great sightseeing experience and the pilot pointed out many land features. I am by no means telling you not to go with the other shuttle companies, but rather saying that our experience with Red Tail was memorable and saved us some money.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Boyscout said... {you just tip the pilot $50 once for the whole group.} That's funny, I flew from Newark New Jersey to Barbados in the Vargin Islands and when I stepped out of the cock-pit to thank the passengers as they exited the airplane a passenger tip me 200$ dollars and thanked me for a nice flight, I took the tip and put it in my pocket, the lead flight attendant standing next to me said, I can't believe you didn't hand that tip back. I said to her, once a river guide always a river guide. I gave the tip to her to split it with the other three attendant's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Boyscout said... {you just tip the pilot $50 once for the whole group.} That's funny, I flew from Newark New Jersey to Barbados in the Vargin Islands and when I stepped out of the cock-pit to thank the passengers as they exited the airplane a passenger tip me 200$ dollars and thanked me for a nice flight, I took the tip and put it in my pocket, the lead flight attendant standing next to me said, I can't believe you didn't hand that tip back. I said to her, once a river guide always a river guide. I gave the tip to her to split it with the other three attendant's.
40 minute flight vs your excursion, and 4 people vs however many you transported. Seems fair plus they are paid a good wage anyways.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That's one part of posting on MB, that a statement could be misunderstood. I find it very gracious of you, that you tipped the pilot. In my 35+ years in aviation I have only been offered a tipped twice, once for dropping a husband's cremation ashes for his wife, over their land back in the 70's, I did not accept that tip, just would not of been right under those circumstances, and in Barbados which I did, I gave it all to the flight attendants because they deserved it. I have never used Red Tail but I have always heard good positive things about them and how they give their passengers a beautiful sightseeing excursion to their destination. I don't think they expect a tip thought, still nice of you to do it.
40 minute flight vs your excursion, and 4 people vs however many you transported. Seems fair plus they are paid a good wage anyways.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts