Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Deso shuttles have been an ongoing discussion, but here goes. Has anybody used River Access and Transport out of Santa Clara, Utah? The website is a bit iffy, but that outfit seems to be the only alternative to River Runners Transport (Melanie) out of Vernal.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Do you have a specific site, I cannot find this company. Santa Clara is in Washington County, St George area, not particularly close for Deso shuttles?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, anything is worth a shot when you look at the alternative.. I do still like the airplane shuttle though, but not always the most convienient.. 225.00 is a reasonable charge, especially if they don't destroy your vehicles doing the shuttle..

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
The current BLM list of permitted shuttle companies does not include River Access and Transport...maybe not updated?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Tomcat. I'm going with this company, will report back. There are not a lot of alternatives right now, and if the guy is trying to build a little business, this can be an opportunity.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The current BLM list of permitted shuttle companies does not include River Access and Transport...maybe not updated?

Ummm. not sure there is an actual permitting system for shuttle companies, is more of a "list" than anything else IMHO. I knew the BLM river manager who was there years ago, Dennis, he was receptive to my thoughts about river runners and the way they operated, said I wasn't the only one by a long shot that had complained about them, but said the BLM didn't regulate shuttle services and didn't require them to have insurance or adhere to any standards. That being said, this was 10 years ago, things may have changed but I doubt it.....

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I only know from my experience offering outdoor recreation activities on Forest Service, National Park and BLM lands, that we had to have a special use permit for all activities; we were considered an outfitter

Here is the BLM link: https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/permits-and-passes/special-recreation-permits

And from RRT website: "In 1992 the Dinosaur National Monument issued the first ever shuttle permit to River Runners' Transport, Inc. In 1994, the Price District of the Bureau of Land Management followed the Monument's lead and issued RRT a permit to shuttle vehicles, deliver equipment and provide full support trips. The Monument then followed in 1995 with a permit to deliver and pick up rental equipment."

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yep, am familiar with the regulation, but that applies more toward their equipment rental business than a shuttle.

Don't want to split hairs, I wouldn't take anything RRT says at face value anyway and I don't care enough to research it, am just very excited that someone else other than RRT is doing shuttles. Perhaps I'll shoot them an email and let them know they can be listed on the BLM site, surely this would boost their business..

Been many years for me and my friends that used to go yearly in October since Green River Aviation closed and there wasn't a reputable alternative to RRT other than RedTail..

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Post "Here's the address. https://rivershuttleus.com

The fella (Dusty) lives in St. George, is from and has family in Duchesne.""

Hi Andy,
If this Dusty is Dusty Jensen, I can vouch for him. I was on a Deso Gray Trip that was basically set up on Mt Buzz. I injured my leg late in the trip. Before the trip, I had not met Dusty. He jumped in to help me the rest of the trip and along with his cousin helped me load my truck at Swaseys Landing. Great people to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dusty of River Access and Transport Services worked out fine. Highly recommended. His number: 435-680-0076.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Call Dusty and use his service. Great guy that makes you feel like the customer. Vehicles were well taken care of and Dusty actually called us to follow up and make sure everything was good and asked about our trip. Ha! Incredible. Much thanks to him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There seems to be some confusion regarding shuttle permits from the BLM in Price. I can tell you that River Runners' Transport has an actual Special Use Permit #PFO-19025 to operate on Deso and pays a concessions fee of 3% for all revenue generated. In addition to this, we also carry $1m in general liability with the BLM as co-insured. If the other "permitted services" are not required to pay the 3% then RRT shouldn't either. Last year we paid them over $7500 in concessions fees. Between Deso, Dinosaur, the White River the upper stretch below the Dam, RRT shuttled over 3,200 vehicles in 2019.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Thank you, Melanie for your clarification

When I was working with BLM and Forest Service in regards to Special Use Permits, individuals and companies were operating under the radar to avoid the concessions fees; to make the public aware of non permitted "outfitters", signs were posted at many trail heads with reporting and fines information

You are exactly correct...if a revenue service takes place on BLM or Forest Service lands, insurance and 3% fee of revenue must be current and paid in full, respectively

·
Registered
45 Posts
RRT was the first "permitted" shuttle in the US. We fought for 5 years with the NPS for the permit in the mid 90s and after they issued the permit, the BLM and Forest Service followed suit. The reason there wasn't a permitted service in the US was because at the time, Dinosaur was the only location where the put in and take out were managed by the same agency; all the other river stretches were managed by two or more different agencies. We have maintained all permits for 25 years so for someone to question my claim of being a "permitted" shuttle service upsets me greatly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts