Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo!

Has anybody taken the nine mile canyon shortcut yet this year? I've got a trip in a few days and we'll be dropping a car at Swazeys before driving up to Sand Wash. I took the shortcut a few years back and it was just fine - I just dont want to get half way there to find out the road is washed out in one of the million canyons it crosses. I am aware of the need to have a full sized spare and good tires and all that.

While I'm here, anybody know how are the skeeters are at Sand Wash? I imagine they won't get too bad till the river starts dropping?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
172 Posts
We launch on 6/18, would love to hear if the shortcut is good, I’ve never taken it.

Would there be any decent place for a large group to camp within 30mins of Sand Wash on the 9mile canyon road?

·
Registered
432 Posts
There are some mosquitoes around jensen. I would bet things are similar at Sand Wash. No swarms yet, but present. The peak was yesterday, so I would expect increasing mosquitoes over then next few weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had mosquitoes pretty bad on Saturday at our first camp 8 miles in. They were only an issue for about the first quarter of the trip. As long as you stayed out of the swarms along the banks, you were fine. I know for certain we didn't have a bug issue after lighthouse rock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the bug update. I am reassured!

I spoke to the folks at the Price Field Office and they said the shortcut route was in fine shape, for anyone following along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts