Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this posted twice it didnt seem to work the first time.

Has anyone used the air shuttle (redtail aviation) to get back to Sand Wash? My question is how do you get from where I would drop my truck and trailer off at the boat ramp at swaseys landing to the airport for the shuttle? Any help or guidance would be greatly apprecitated.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Saw a guy this spring figure that one out for a labyrinth shuttle, he ordered a pizza! Aranged to have the pizza delivery guy pick him up at the airport, then he just got delivered to the put in along with the pizza, may work for a deso shuttle to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the air shuttle a couple years ago on a 8 person trip. We had two cars, drove to Sand Wash (with some difficulties, including replacing a wheel bearing in Price on a Sunday), got there about midnight, threw the boats in the water, drove back to Green River by about 6 am for our 7:30 am flight. We had two cars drive back so we left one at Swaseys and drove the other to the airport, and got the flight. If you only have one car I have heard there is a taxi that you can get. I would call and ask Redtail and they can probably get you the number. The people at the Green River museum could probably get it for you as well. Is the pizza place open that early? Great idea though.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful and very fun flight to see the whole canyon you are about to float through, then land on a mesa. Also, the plane has ashtrays.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
All way's wanted to fly over desolation canyon, air shuttle should be sweet if that is a part of your goal. If you don't have lot's of extra time, and realy want the flight, I would go with a river runners shuttle, super good reputation, reasonable considering shuttle length, will save most of a day driving very rough roads. Of course they may not be running for the season if you are doing a winter trip, have heard ice from side canyons is major hazered in winter time.
Have a great trip, love that stretch!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
All way's wanted to fly over desolation canyon, air shuttle should be sweet if that is a part of your goal. If you don't have lot's of extra time, and realy want the flight, I would go with a river runners shuttle, super good reputation, reasonable considering shuttle length, will save most of a day driving very rough roads. Of course they may not be running for the season if you are doing a winter trip, have heard ice from side canyons is major hazered in winter time.
Have a great trip, love that stretch!!

Redtail may even let your car stay in their yard until you take out. Call them and ask, they may have other options not discussed herein.

The air shuttle is a VERY nice treat and perhaps even cost effective but it takes a long early drive out to earn it. They may have a minimum number for passengers, but that just allows for a few others to join in the fun. I consider it a true group shuttle cost and let the chosen 4-5 people just go out and have a really fun morning.

For a similar cost you can just casually launch in the morning without the grunt work. Both options work fine.

In the end, I'd say go for it and leave a big roach in the ashtray.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did this three years ago. Drove to Green River airport and slept there. I didn't think the drive out was bad, especially with the road improvements in 9 mile canyon. Took us about 3.5hrs to get to GR. Left car at the airport and had a shuttle company take it to Swaseys. I think it was $20. I don't remember the company but Redtail gave me the number and info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts