Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have permits for Deso and Lodore one day apart from each other.

To those that have done em, which would you rather do?

Leanin towards Lodore.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
You hit the lottery jackpot!

I haven't done Deso, but I have done Lodore and it's beautiful. Fun rapids - nothing major - but very entertaining. Hell's Half Mile is good splashy fun. The canyon is spectacular, the camping is outstanding, and Jones Hole is a fantastic oasis.

We have permits for Deso and Lodore one day apart from each other.

To those that have done em, which would you rather do?

Leanin towards Lodore.

Thanks.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, oh yeah...if anybody's interested I believe were cancelling our Deso permit(unless anyone can convince me otherwise) for 7/12 AND the Dinosaur river office had a few cancellations left for July. Get after it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would have to agree that Lodore is a more interesting run. But, it is shorter than Deso. If you do Lodore, don't miss the hike up from Jones Hole to "Butt Dam Falls."

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely go Lodore - the river canyon is spectacular and the rapids are better than Deso, for sure. Read John Wesley Powell's journals before you go...it'll give you a much greater appreciation of the trip - and the names of the rapids.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've done both and they're both great. However, since you have to choose one, I'd go with Lodore. It's a rad canyon and the rapids are good fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hotorch, thought we shifted already? You having second thoughts. My vote is Lodore. I can't wait to get back to Jones Holes.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Make sure you compare flows and snowpack too before you make a commitment.

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
Even at minimal flow, Lodore will be boatable. Deso seems to have a wider channel and seems like it needs a bit higher flow than Lodore for a good run, so even if Lodore's flowing at 850 (minimum) and Deso's at 1200, Lodore's probably still the better run.

Add that to more spectacular scenery, & better rapids and you shouldn't have any trouble making up your mind. There's a good reason Dino permits are as rare as dinosaurs and that there's a high cancellation rate on Deso...

Have a good trip!

-AH

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is another vote for Gates of Ladore. When you say Deso I assume you mean Deso/Gray's. Gray Canyon is a good name for the last part because that is what it is... gray...and dull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts