Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
If you call the Price Field Office, they can confirm the current shuttle companies

435-636-3600 8am to 4:30pm M - F MDT

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is also River Runners Transport, out of Vernal. If you search around on here you will find some people have had good experiences with them, some have not. I am in the former category, as are a bunch of people I know. But, for Deso the move is to drive your own vehicle down to the takeout (remember to drop your boat off at the put-in first) and and fly back with Redtail Aviation. There is a recent thread or two on the logistics of doing this. Less expensive than using a traditional shuttle (by a little); more convenient in some ways, less convenient in others; and you get a plane ride up the canyon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 for Dusty.

I was in Vernal a couple of weeks ago and talked to River Runners Transport regarding a non-Deso shuttle. They've had problems with drivers being out due to Covid and are usually booked up, but they are nice and accommodating people. For Deso though, I'd use Dusty.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
And some more +++ for Dusty, nothing but good reports about his service. As well, if you have the time, the redtail plane shuttle shouldn't be missed, it's spectacular and well worth it..

I'm one of the people that's had bad experience with River Runners shuttle, 3 times in one year. No amount of money would cause me to use them again. When they were the only game in the ballpark, we always went redtail, never had a problem..

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
++++ river runners in Vernal. never had an issue in many, many shuttles on Deso and Lodore.
Glad you had good experiences, mine were not, culminated by RRT telling me that they were uninsured, and I quote, " our insurance is your insurance".. After over $3000.00 of damage to mine, and 2 other vehicles we elected never to use them again.

The first 2 times we hired them, they didn't even shuttle the vehicles, sent a driver in a ratty ass old pickup to collect our drivers, and gave them a death ride along a "shortcut" road that reports say wasn't fit for animals, let alone autos.. The last time was a "Free" shuttle to make up for leaving us twice standing on the ramp wondering where our vehicles were. Yes, they made an enemy out of me, and I'll do what I can to ensure nobody has a similar experience

I contacted an attorney about it, and he related that litigation could cost over 10K$, didn't make sense to spend 10K to get 3K, so they skated.

They had their permit suspended last year for a season, ostensibly due to complaints, but that's gossip, the reason that is...
The BLM in Price won't say why, just that it was suspended. IMHO why take a chance, but your mileage may, and apparently does vary. Maybe they cleaned up their act, but in my opinion it's unlikely.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anyone know if Jolley's is running this year? We used them last year and they were great. I emailed AJ 3 days ago, but haven't heard anything back. Also, we rented an additional raft through Book Cliff Adventures last year (who partnered with Jolley's), but their website no longer seems to exist.

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Anyone know if Jolley's is running this year? We used them last year and they were great. I emailed AJ 3 days ago, but haven't heard anything back. Also, we rented an additional raft through Book Cliff Adventures last year (who partnered with Jolley's), but their website no longer seems to exist.
Dunno, but the China virus put a lot of small operations out of business... Hopefully that's not what happened, but...

·
Registered
12 Posts
June '22 shuttle with Redtail was flawless. Plane right on time, pilot super professional and courteous, flight spectacular. Parked inside fence at airport all week with no issues. Great way to go if you can work out the logistics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So first... plus one for Dusty. He did us right on Deso last year. Second I wouldn't be posting if it wasn't so funny... We were one of many groups that RRT and Melanie blew off last year when they either chose to stop shuttling Deso or were cancelled by the BLM (who knows the truth here). Nonetheless they NEVER responded to our emails or voicemails over the course of a couple weeks so we found Dusty and it went great! That was the end of the story in my world until this morning when Melanie finally responded to a comment I made on their FB page LAST MAY! Perfect self own... Moral of the story: answer your phone or return calls, answer emails, update your website at least every few years. If you choose to have social media then check that every month or two as well. If you don't do these things and you get called out, acknowledge, apologize, move forward. No one wants wreck.gov more involved in the industry but with the shenanigans on the Salmon this year and operators like RRT don't be surprised when the Feds are running all the shuttles with complimentary dog searches and warrant checks on both ends ...

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
So first... plus one for Dusty. He did us right on Deso last year. Second I wouldn't be posting if it wasn't so funny... We were one of many groups that RRT and Melanie blew off last year when they either chose to stop shuttling Deso or were cancelled by the BLM (who knows the truth here). Nonetheless they NEVER responded to our emails or voicemails over the course of a couple weeks so we found Dusty and it went great! That was the end of the story in my world until this morning when Melanie finally responded to a comment I made on their FB page LAST MAY! Perfect self own... Moral of the story: answer your phone or return calls, answer emails, update your website at least every few years. If you choose to have social media then check that every month or two as well. If you don't do these things and you get called out, acknowledge, apologize, move forward. No one wants wreck.gov more involved in the industry but with the shenanigans on the Salmon this year and operators like RRT don't be surprised when the Feds are running all the shuttles with complimentary dog searches and warrant checks on both ends ...
We used Jolley's last year. They worked fine, but there were spans of time with lack of communication that made me nervous. When I'm leading a trip with several shuttles and a rental (easily 4 figures all in), it makes me uneasy when I hear nothing back for 1 week +. It all worked out, but I spent many hours wondering if I should audible. They stopped this year and it took a few weeks for me to hear back even though they are still listed as an approved shuttle company and their website was still up. I guess that's just how the shuttle business rolls, but it doesn't make things easy when you're also dealing with everything else that goes into leading a 7+ day trip.

We have used River Runners many times in the past and it has always turned out fine. What I have heard is they didn't get their license or whatever last year for Deso, but that they have it back. You would think other expedition logistics would be of more concern, but shuttling is always what I worry about most.

To your point, it's easy to make excuses for not responding but how difficult is it to create a canned response and just send it? I get the same shit from friends who never respond to trip invitations. "I'm busy and didn't have time to respond." Cry me a fucking river (pun intended). I'm just as busy as you (almost certainly more busy) and am trying to plan a trip of a lifetime for me and YOU, but you are too busy to take literally 2 minutes to respond? /End rant

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok MNichols. I’ve seen you be dismayed that RRT told you that they don’t carry insurance for your vehicle. They were just being honest. No shuttle companies carry insurance for your vehicle. Your insurance is their insurance. If you let a shuttle company drive your vehicle it it exactly the same as giving permission to a friend to drive your vehicle. They wreck it your only recourse is you insurance. Apparently you only had liability insurance so you had to eat the cost. I had a shuttle driver from one of the most reputable Idaho companies hit a deer last summer and guess what my agent said. Deer don’t carry insurance. The owner did offer $100.00 towards deductible greatly appreciated gesture I just asked for a future discount. Oh funny coincidence $3000.00 damage but I only had to pay out $500.00.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts