Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, shot down here as well. Maybe Monday will bring something other than the all to familiar unsuccessful email from wreck.gov.

·
Registered
31 Posts
An "unsuccessful" for me too :-(

Can anyone speak to their experience with trying to scoop up a cancellation permit? I've not done it before, and sure am hoping there's a chance I could still get my group on the river.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An "unsuccessful" for me too :-(

Can anyone speak to their experience with trying to scoop up a cancellation permit? I've not done it before, and sure am hoping there's a chance I could still get my group on the river.

I would say there is always hope. Two years ago we had overlapping Yampa and Deso permits within the group and I was able to pick up a cancellation a few days later so we could do both trips with a resupply day in between. That was early/mid June.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I pulled a deso permit and my stupid brother decided to get married that weekend - so there is at least one cancellation coming from me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
A river friend just called to say we have a Memorial day Deso launch date. Yippee :D:D That and a late season Main Salmon and my year is shaping up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me - no Main, no MFS, no San Juan, no Deso, no nuting
Wife - San Juan Jun 17, Deso Jun 24
Nice, we were trying for back to back trips like that for those far away (for us) rivers but smarty pants here did something weird down on her 4 or 5th choice for San Juan and flipped from May to April. So now I've got to figure out if we can make a San Juan launch in late April. Decision would be easy if it wasn't for a little spell on the GC for much of March - woe is me:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Canceling a trip

Has anyone who canceled a trip noticed how long it is before the trip shows available on the rec site. I noticed someone posted on this site he was canceling a SJ trip the other day and someone who was also on this site responded that they went and picked it up. My group pulled a couple of extra June deso trips that I will post here when I decide which one I'm going to use. I would like to give the site members a heads up, if possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 to what zercon said.

I thought cancellations all came up March 16 (for deso and the san juan at least) that's what the BLM website says. But I read the same SJ post you are talking about vercon, sure sounded like someone won the lottery and then cancelled and successfully gave away their cancellation to another buzzer... how do we get in on that?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the San Juan permit that was picked up was before April 14/15 at this moment they are not releasing any after that date. At least that's how I read it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
After March

What I'm wondering is what happens when you cancel a trip after March. Do they post them same day or just update the site on a regular schedule.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What I'm wondering is what happens when you cancel a trip after March. Do they post them same day or just update the site on a regular schedule.
historically they release them at a "random" basis, though they define how they proceed "randomly" (like number generators, etc). I guess random just means not on a regular schedule.

Phillip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Darn! No Deso or Yampa permit

Once again, I was snubbed by the universe of river lotteries. Am dying to go one either or somewhere else the spring or summer (??). Own a 14' raft with all the gear for 4 people except I never got around to buying a firepan. Go figure. Have 30 years experience rowing and fairly good experience in group camping and organization. Thanks. Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts