Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any wild ass guesses on Deso cfs third week of June this year?
And might a 12' raft (rowed by a novice) be too small for big flow?
Green River Utah gauge shows average of about 16K that week (2011 was over 40K!).
I know cataraftgirl rowed her 12 footer last spring, but last year ain't this year (and she's got plenty of rowing experience!).
Are there sneaks around Joe Hutch and Wire Fence if necessary?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Green River Utah gauge shows average of about 16K that week (2011 was over 40K!).
I know cataraftgirl rowed her 12 footer last spring, but last year ain't this year (and she's got plenty of rowing experience!).
My trip last year was early May, so low water not high. Wire Fence is harder at low water. Joe Hutch, Coal Creek, and Three Fords are harder at high water. For Joe Hutch, if the water is high enough, you can sort of sneak on the right. It's not an easy route and may involve getting stuck on a rock. Just don't let your newbie in the small raft take on the big standing waves on the center left, half way down. If you time it right it's Mr. Toad's wild ride, but if you time it wrong, I've seen 16 ft. rafts flip or almost flip. There's also a weird corner on the bottom left that can suck a raft in, or slam you into the wall. Enter left center, then pull right. Really pull right. The scout is easy, and will give you lots of info on how to run. If you can time it right and watch others run it, that's a big help. Check out some YouTube video. A newbie in a small boat might not be the best combo.....or it could be a riot.......or it could be a train wreak?

Bring lots of bug spray, and maybe a bug suit, and a screen house. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
You'll be fine in a 12'er. Every year we have High School kids that have never ran a river before.....run it in ducks with few swimmers. It was running around 10,000 the day we got off the river last year. I feel it's one of the best runs for novices no matter what the flow. Seems like the rapids wash out some and become easier lines to pick at higher flows. Scout the major ones and you'll have no problems. Even Joe Hutch has gotten easier over time, with the last few big flow events.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
15-20k would be my guess according to latest forecasts:

GRVU1 Peak Flow Forecasts

I don't think a novice is any worse off in a 12 footer than a larger boat (a 14 footer broadside or quarter panel will flip and dump truck almost as easy as a 12er). A smaller boat will move and correct easier for a beginner. There really aren't any huge features in Deso at those levels to majorly concerned about.

I wouldn't say there are any beginner sneaks in most rapids in Deso. Nothing to speak of in Wire Fence. At the right levels Joe Hutch does have some slots on the right but they are fairly technical for Deso and maybe not beginner friendly. That rapid keeps moving around so its hard to say what will be available. And in all honesty....Joe Hutch is a relative friendly rapid to flip in at mid levels.

All said... 12 footer should be great this year. Easier to move and at worse case its much easier to right if flipped. It can be a great beginner run with some proper guidance.

Phillip

·
Registered
58 Posts
12'

First rule of water sports: Always respect the river/lake/ocean.

That said, run what you brung. The rapids are all pool-drop, so consequences are low. When I was a lad, I kayaked Deso, never having been in a kayak before. I swam a few times before I learned to just go with the main current. You get into trouble trying to sneak around stuff. Take on the main flow. Row downstream to punch the waves. If you flip, eddies are numerous, and a 12' boat is easy to flip back over. You are a novice, and you will learn more on your own rowing a small boat. Float with your oars dipped in the water so you can feel the current. The key to rivers is reading the water, and down low on a 12', you are in it. You will have the most fun of anybody on the trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts