Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been out to Deso since '07 (ran it many times in the 90's and early 00's), but we got a 7 day permit for last week of Aug. Figure with the good snowpack above Flaming Gorge, we may still get 2500 or so, decent flow as far as I'm concerned.

Haven't run Joe Hutch since it flashed, and I know it's a kick at high water. Has the thing mellowed since then, what's it like these days at lower water: 2K - 3.5 K ? Figuring the '11 big water and this year's as well will shuffle the deck a bit....

Thx.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Mellowed out a ton for high water but....

The big years seemed to move the rocks around enough to create a picket somewhere around 3k. Didn't go last year so I am not 100% positive its still there but doubt last years drought flows did much to the arrangement. Picket fence is in bottom 1/3 of rapid and can be run to left or right. Its really the only semi-technical move of the entire trip.

Phillip

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We did it last may at around 5000 cfs. The ranger told us about the picket fence, but I don't recall seeing it. Enter top left and pulled hard to the right, away from the left side corner & wall. Easy move. No problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts