Mountain Buzz banner

Deso/Grey in August

Tags
august
6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ledlights 
Mid-August is normally relatively minor for mosquitos and flies.

Bloody hot, low water and fewer people. We often spend the first day walking and floating beside our boat in the river to stay cool.

Three Fords has one of the bigger punches of the trip.

Enjoy your trip.

Phillip

every whitewater site says the road and mosquitos are terrible. But reality is road to sand wash is new and really nice and few to no mosquitos. Get there kinda earlier in the day, unload gear, get boats in water and go grab a screened camp site before all the commercial groups take over. Enjoy joe hutch and bring lots of water
The road changes weekly during the monsoon, though I am not sure I would ever call it new in the last ten years. If its been grated and average weather it can be a relative cruise. That said, if its been raining a lot and the oil trucks are using their chains the driving can be abysmally slow. We go 1-2 times a year and its never the same (last fall was great, last summer slow and rugged). I no longer drive down there with passenger rated tires after seeing how many rigs have punctured multiple tires in one trip. You will be best served with a medium to high clearance vehicle as the last bit is actually in the Wash and can have some navigation issues with low ground clearance. More than once we have zig-zagged through a flowing wash and around new boulders in the main "road". Enjoy it when its a breeze go prepared for an epic.

That said...its likely to get a bit worse this year if they keep laying off oil rig folks because of the price crash. That area has seen several boon and bust cycles in the pasts and the roads are largely better right now because of the amount of $$ being dropped into region from extraction. Its not likely any of those fields will be operating at full capacity for a while so I would wager it will have an affect on the access roads' reliability.

Phillip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.