Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cargo van which I take to the river all the time, but on dirt roads I gotta drive slow or it rattles apart (e.g. max 30-40mph even on good dirt roads.)

I hear the shuttle companies often drive *fast*, 80-100mph - my van would likely get damaged.

So, anyone else ever done the trip with a regular vehicle? Is there a shuttle company that would take appropriate care of my poor van?

Alternatively, is there a way I could just get a ride to Sandwash so I can drive it out myself?

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You could always run the shuttle yourself to green river and take the shuttle plane up to sand wash.
Thanks! It's a one-boat trip and unfortunately I only have one day pre-trip, so I'm struggling a bit with how that would look:

* Launch minus one - Drive to Sandwash (6 hours from here), unload boat and wife, she rigs, I drive to Green River Airport (another 5 hours?), hopefully get a plane
* Launch day - alternate: plane flight AM, rig, launch
* Take-out - organise airport to shuttle van to Swayseys?

It'll all depend on flight availablity - I've emailed them. Plus they have a minimum passenger of 2, so it'd cost me $400+ if there's no other flight to join.

Do you happen to know if the ranger has a particular time they do checks on launch day? (if it can be later in the day that'd give me a little more time)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have never flown, but might try it for my August 3rd launch, just to mix things up. That being said, I have had great luck with River Runners Transport for multiple trips throughout the area. Call them with your concerns.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We used Dusty at https://rivershuttleus.com/ and they took great care of our vehicles. We arrived at the ramp to vehicles that hadn't been driven hard, and had been armor-alled as well...just my two cents, but his team took great care of us and our rigs for two trips in a row.
-thomas
Fruita, CO

·
Registered
210 Posts
River Runners Transports drove my truck so fast the tail gate on the trailer bounced down and was destroyed being dragged for many miles. So yes, expect it. Desolation is a good place for rugged 4x4 vehicles as with so many western launch sites.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wow... I've always had a good experience with RRT with no indication of abuse...but this is making me rethink using them. Not sure sure how I missed that thread with all the accounts of speeding and leaving vehicles open or things being stolen by shuttle drivers.

It makes me wonder what they've done to my truck in the past. I've always considered it to just be part of the deal...but now that there are competitors and RRT keeps getting more expensive for the same service... I might have to start looking around a bit more.

I wouldn't mind doing the first part of the shuttle myself...but at least for me its a LONG way out of the way to get someone back to their vehicle after the trip...like 5+ hours and 230 miles extra....so it tends to be worth paying for the shuttle especially if you are carpooling and splitting the cost.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just realized it said 2wd. Honestly its a bad place for 2wd, especially if it rains. Only been one time but it I had 1 foot berms and big rocks to get over after a storm.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
DidNotWinLottery, your post made me wonder.

My boat trailer tail board was just fine traveling from Jenks, Oklahoma to Vernal UT, then from Vernal to the Deso put in all driving by me. It did not survive the drive from Deso put in to Deso take out driven by RRT. The board bounced out even tho it had a couple of the short roller bars bolted to it. I thought maybe it was just bad luck that my locking chain broke but maybe not.

On the Deso Put in road (unpaved part) I rarely go over 20 mph some times 10 mph or less.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'll admit to a double standard. Unlike some of you....I definitely move at a pretty good pace both on and off road. A pace, admittedly, that I would be unhappy with a shuttle company matching.

It is definitely different when you hire a company to do a shuttle vs. what you do to your own vehicle. If I were working for them driving shuttles...I would treat the customers vehicle MUCH better then I ever would my own and would expect the shuttle driver for the company I hire to do the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The flights are usually only in the morning. You can rig up then drive down to green river and catch the plane back up the morning of your launch. I have never did it but when I researched them that’s the only way the offered them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Last several times I was down there with a trailer, RRT has zip tied every part of my trailer with any potential to rattle, shake or move. First time I was kind of like wth but they are definitely trying to keep things together. Been in the shop a couple times when that day's shuttle crew got back in the van, it was all old ladies. IDK, I don't drive slow myself, just make sure you have half way decent tires and you shouldn't have a problem. If you have concerns or special instructions, just leave the driver a nice note with the tip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone with the thoughts so far, it's been very helpful :)

If you have concerns or special instructions, just leave the driver a nice note with the tip.
How much Tip do people normally give a shuttle driver for a drive like this? Do you just leave it on the driver's seat?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I generally tip 20% and always put it in an envelope with tip written on it and let the shuttle company know where it will be. If a shuttle driver takes $ that does not say tip he/she is risking theft charges. Never leave anything of value in plan sight.

·
Super Moderator
3,960 Posts
Hey Folks, just a public service reminder that if there are any illegal substances (aka Dope) in the vehicles the driver could be liable in case of a stop and search. And the driver suspects it, your vehicle will not be driven. Please be considerate of your shuttle drivers and don't leave stuff in your vehicle that could get them arrested.

Also, don't leave booze as a tip for the driver - the driver could be someone that's recovering and it pushes them over the edge (or they could get hammered while driving your rig!)....

·
Super Moderator
3,960 Posts
The issue with trailers of course is at speed, and empty they bounce like crazy.
I like to bring along an old drybag, put a hundred or so pounds of sand in it and lash it to the trailer for some trailer weight for the drive, then just dump it out at the takeout.

-AH

Reactions: 2tomcat2
1 - 20 of 31 Posts