Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mystified about available launches for Deso-Gray. All I am seeing is no launches until the end of the year. I was expecting to be able to pick up a cancellation in September (with luck) or October. However, it seems that at the beginning if a month an open slot pops up about a week out. Am I missing something?
Confused and sad with no permit this year:-(

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been watching Deso pretty close, rec.gov is basically only releasing one permit at a time and so far it is only the next up coming date. This is completely stupid because most the time permits are not being released until a few days before the launch date. How is anyone supposed to make plans for a 5-7 day trip with only 3 days notice. I home they get there crap together, or maybe they are hoping that this will reduce traffic on the Deso.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The big thing is they started a bison hunt in the canyon that runs all through the fall, hunters have gone nuts for permits

·
Registered
147 Posts
The big thing is they started a bison hunt in the canyon that runs all through the fall, hunters have gone nuts for permits
Ah, makes sense. It’s still hard to believe that 2 trips a day are rolling through there in December. The response I got from the BLM is that it is simply gaining in popularity and that these permits really are booked.

Related question: BLM Price claims that a person can hold only 1 permit in the lottery season, and 1 in the off-peak time. However, I cannot find this rule anywhere in writing. Is it really official policy that you can’t have >1 permit/ season?

·
Registered
226 Posts
So when it comes to cancellations for that time of year, people have until 31 days prior to the trip to cancel and get a full refund, so my assumption is most folks hold on to them until right about a month out before they cancel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah and there’s no cancellation penalty either except losing permit $. Elbear this is probably not a rec.gov issue but people holding onto permits and canceling later.

I get conflicting reports of no-shows. The Price office will tell you it is very rare, but the on site ranger will tell you it happens all the time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Bottom line is there are more and more people getting into the sport and it will be harder and harder to find cancellations on any river unless you can put together a trip within that week. Which is possible for some people.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yep, get all your poop in a pile and be ready. Most folks can’t swing the work thing but if you are retired or self employed and a have a crew that rolls the same way??? You can jump at a moments notice. My main personal gear dry bag is packed from now until the end of the season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts