Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically for most rivers, rafts need to carry 1 extra PFD for each type of passenger. I looked over the reqs for Deso and didn't see that.

Can anyone confirm after a recent check out if this is the case or not?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Not required from what I have read and experienced. But maybe not the best person as we always carry 1 extra per raft, no matter river stipulations.

Phillip

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've never been asked to show one. We always have extras for the group. Deso can be very windy. Make sure you secure PFDs at all times. We did have one blow into the river once. Another group found it and left it for us at a camp downstream.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got off Deso and the ranger asked to see the extra PFD for each boat at the put-in. We actually used one when we picked up a stranded kayaker who lost his unsecured boat, paddle & PFD overnight to rising water. He lucked out when we found it a day later where some fellow boater had pulled it up on shore.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Avoid the Pissing Match!

See "Ranger's Comments" under the Rules & Regs section posted on the BLM Deso website-

3. g.
-A spare lifejacket is not required by State Law, but it’s a great idea to carry one.

So I would guess it is not enforceable, but why get into a pissing match with a ranger at put-in. Even if you are right, you are not going to win. I have first hand experience on that one.

Cataraftgirl is right, as is common sense. Take an extra per boat.

Peace,

Capt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Buzz

What is the current bug story, anyone been down there this week? Also I see that the camp across from the Indian lodge burned, anyone know when this happened?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts