Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Irony

Alex blasts someone here talking about the wave and just goes off when the wave and he were new. Now he does an interview on his discovery!!

Remember when Don and Hobbie had to tell him to shut his pie hole because the damage he was doing to himself here!!

Everyone who boats already knew it was there. Net effect of this article will be small.

NEWS FLASH, Golden has a play park. Keep it on the down low!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ha, I thought it was a well written article as always by Scott. The M-wave is infamous. Anyone who hasn't already heard the lore and gone there is not going to suddenly show up due to an article in a front range paper. I had the pleasure of paddling with alex this year - he's good shit and has taken more of a wrap here than he deserves. It was also good to see Warren up on the Big South this year.
Joe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Joe. And you're right about Alex getting undeserved shit for this. I've sat on this story for years now out of respect for the landowner and access issues, but Alex has spoken to the guy and he's cool with paddlers as long as they respect his property and know their limits, kind of like everywhere else in the paddling world. I would have done the story with or without Alex, but it was better with.
As for the solitude, there were half a dozen people out there when we were there last week, almost all from Gunni, Telluride and other relatively close locales. I don't expect a caravan of cars following the Gazatteer 5+ hours up from Denver to surf the canal this weekend anymore than you do. And now that Glenwood wave is there, even sucky Golden park riders have a good destination wave that won't throttle them in the eddy.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I dug the story. I have always thought that Alex spending so much time banging away at that wave, on a ditch, in the middle of an otherwise wasteland was a pretty cool story.

That anyone, besides all of us that have already been there, would ever take Scott's story and use it to go find the wave and then once they were there be able to even get out of the eddy, is a ridiculous concept.

I remember surveying that spot on New Years Day 2005 when the canal was shut off, in a snow storm, so we could try to design it into Charlotte. Now there is a M Wave East, but I have to say nothing can ever touch the real thing. I wonder what the engineers thought they were building in 19whatever?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was not ripping on Alex. I don't know him, and can't comment on him. I know he is a hell of alot better boater than me. I just found it funny that people were ready and willing to fight him based on his defense of this wave, and then he shows up 5-10 years later in a news paper article about it. He had to see the irony. That said, he is a product of the same montrose world some of my family lives in. Maybe he didn't connect the dots.

Go buffs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts