Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading about Treasure Canyon and thought I'd add this post.

Has anyone ever explored or scouted Deep Creek which drains out of the Flattops to the Colorado above Dotsero? I ask because my wife got me a book for Christmas that had a nice picture of the canyon in it. I looked at a large scale topo and it looks like a sizeable drainage and maybe not too steep.

I'm too new to boating to care about freshies so I just thought I'd toss this out for curiosity and conversation.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Full of wood and full of brook trout - the fishing down there is great!

·
Registered
114 Posts
schizzle

too new to care about freshies???

you'll have to come down and help me clean this spring - i've got a few things scouted out. one will require some aggressive chain sawing but will be schweet.

i looked at that deep creek once and it was wood/brush fest.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wood. . .brush, I've got a orange and white friend that could fix that. You should see what Vince and I did on Lefthand the other day. Still got two miles to go, but the bottom you wouldn't even recognize (from a boater's perspective!) anymore. Totally clean. Same with SoBo creek from Gross down to the 2nd bridge. Stealth runs, early mornings.

Cheers!

·
DP/ Cinematographer
221 Posts
Schizzle & Deep Creek

Thank U Schizzle 4 Nizzle! I hope it SBC & Lefty run this year.

As for Deep Creek and Sweet water creek we ran sections of that so long ago (in a Crossfire) the only thing I remember was lotsa wood. Getting out of your boat quickly and leap frogging with a few other guys pinning ourselves left and right. Thank god the water wasn't too pushy. I think Joel McBride and Chan Z and Dan Braybec and a few other WS'ers 1st D'd all that stuff. Ask them if you are really serious.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A clean Lefty seems like it would be nice but I still haven't done that run. The bottom Class IV'ish rapid looks fun. Anyone run through there before?

I would imagine that the conditions have to be just right to get good flow through there. Peak runoff with rain storm would open a nice hour window, right?

Was there wood from Gross down to the bridge on SBC? I know DF went through a couple of seasons ago and cleaned the trizzle from the wizzle.

Should be a good front range season this year. Up around 90% of average. Jyeah.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did Left Hand last year and it was pretty fun. Fast and woody, but we scouted from the road carefully first. In the larger scheme of things it's just an okay after work run, but it will get a whole degree better once all the woods cleaned up.

From Gross down to the bridge had a few new trees in the main channel. It was all stuff you could boat around, but it'll be more fun to not have them clogging the best line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beta Requested

Hey Schizzle,
have you found out any more about this creek or scouted it? I was looking at it late this fall and didn't have time before the snow fall to scout. I have a possie that is interested in running parts of this creek this summer. The data shows it drops 240 feet per mile which means it's probably total chaos in there.

rmack

Was reading about Treasure Canyon and thought I'd add this post.

Has anyone ever explored or scouted Deep Creek which drains out of the Flattops to the Colorado above Dotsero? I ask because my wife got me a book for Christmas that had a nice picture of the canyon in it. I looked at a large scale topo and it looks like a sizeable drainage and maybe not too steep.

I'm too new to boating to care about freshies so I just thought I'd toss this out for curiosity and conversation.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, this thread is almost three years old.

But to answer your question, when I heard about all the wood I conjured images of some of the other obscure creeks I've looked at and decided it wouldn't be worth it. Plus, cleaning the odd tree is fine by me, but from the sounds of other people's comments, it could possibly alter the streambed and affect habitat. I'm not saying I know that for a fact, just that it sounds like it could be the case.

I met Chan Zwanzig last spring while boating out at X-mtn gorge and I think he said that he had done that and some other creeks in the area back in the early 90's and that he felt the quality and access issues didn't warrant the amount of work required. I don't remember for sure what he said as I was floating down a river during the conversation. He was spitting out names of creeks right and left that he'd done in the Flattops that I'd never heard of. Since he was super motivated at that point in time when he was doing those new runs, I'll take his memory that it wasn't worth it.

Lastly, I'm not an old dog by any means, but over time I have changed my attitude somewhat regarding stream cleaning. It's a balance of factors, but unless the creekbed held a lot of promise, I would think long and hard before removing a substantial amount of wood on a new run. How many people will benefit from it as boaters? There are lot's of other established runs that need a little maintenance and probability dictates that those established runs will benefit the larger community more because they have more users.

Lastly (2), I've met a few fisherman before while I had a chainsaw in hand and they were fine and okay with what I was doing (besides thinking I was crazy) but all it would take is one bad encounter to get the authorities involved and it would have an adverse affect on boater relations in general.

Anyhow, not trying to sound preachy, but since you asked I'm sharing my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Lefthand has to have the highest ratio of cleaning to getting run[maybe Bear Creek] Shizzle's up there chain sawing,myself and Baguaninja have cleaned it the last two years[and some before] last year we must have pulled 20 snags and potential snags out in multiple spots plus moved shit on shore that looked like it might get in at high water.I never got on it and Jason only once I think.It's an okay run,probably best as part of an easy creekers triple crown,Boulder Canyon-Lefty-Proving Grounds, never done it just thought about it alot,usually do Lefty with Boulder or the Bear/Ahole.

Lower Deep Creek is kinda' like Lefty,;4'ish ,tiny,consistent gradient,few distinct drops or eddies,WOOD,easy access.It might be worth cleaning,what I remember most about scouting it,Ticks out the ass!!

That waterfall on Sweetwater looks fun,but is right next to a bridge with NO TRESSPASSING signs all over the place. How do you access it without redneck trouble?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
For what it's worth......and a bit off topic.........the BLM and Forest Service are working on getting Deep Creek designated as a Wild and Scenic River. The longest caves in the state are located in the upper layers of limestone. The designation would help protect it from the possibility of future mining and a possible housing project above Deep Creek.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Schizzle, Two buddies and I ran Deep Creek back in '96 and I could give you the lowdown if you are interested in some expedition creek boating. Rob 303-238-5928

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh well . . .

Wasbian: Did you guys do more than the bottom mile or so; or did you drive up and run a long section like 10 miles?

How was the snow on the road? Do you remember the dates?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts