Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to build my decking for my raft and was looking for some advice. How are you guys strapping down ammo cans? I want to be able to lash a rocket box down on each rail as far towards the back as possible. Any advice and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, any tips on any phase of the build would be fantastic! Dont be shy!

Headed back down the Big Ditch in July and need to get this checked off the list!

Thanks,

Zack

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a pretty new boat owner, been rafting on others boats for a couple years, and just bought/built out mine at the end of last season, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I rock a couple 50 cal ammo cans strapped to the decking on my cat. I just run a 2" strap through the handles and then down through the frame. It works great they are very stable and reasonably easy to secure/remove. Obviously rocket boxes are much bigger, and honestly I'm not sure how stable you could get them up on the decking with just a strap. You might have to build in some sort of short wall coming up off your decking. You could get it stable if it's lying on its side, but if this rocket box is holding a groover, I wouldn't recommend that.

In short, I'm not sure how to make that work well. I carry a rocket box in a DRE sling that fits into the front bay of my frame where my crew sit. Just having one there doesn't interfere with their leg room at all, and it even gives the passengers a little table in between them. I haven't tried it yet, but I think you could even put two there and still have adequate room for feet.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Anything you strap to your rails is a potential collision point when you get ejected. I have a numb lower leg from a collision with my frame- so now I take that into consideration when I lay things out. "Rig to flip" should mean you don't slam into hard metal corners immediately before taking a deep sustaining breath.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't have any pictures handy, but I have a rocket on each side of my cockpit. I have plywood flooring for the cockpit and sideboards. I rigged short loop straps with one end attached to the floor and one end to the sideboards. The rockets sit on the floor and are held in with the two of these loop straps. I can rig and derig the rockets super quick. The rockets sit about the same height as the sideboard decks. I painted the top of the rockets with textured "sand" spray paint which makes them nice and grippy for walking on top of.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts