Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried to use a deck bag on a River Runner and had good results. Looking for a bit more storage for multi-day self support. I would be trying to fit a mamba 8.1.

Also, I was looking to get a dry bag for in between legs, wondering what size people typically go with, two liter, five liter, or whatever.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I have used the Watershed Aleution deck bag on my Fusion, but now that I have upgraded to lighter weight/smaller gear I don't need anything on the bow or stern. If you need to have a bag between your legs I would recommend a 6 liter NRS dry stow, or the best option is the Watershed Ocoee.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've used a Sea to Summit with limited success. I would recommend paying extra to ensure dryness. It makes a great setup for the camera on flatwater trips. The larger size allows for keeping maps on the deck also.

If you are not doing a camera, a much smaller space will work. The deck pod on the Fusions is great for holding snacks, etc, and small enough to work in Grand Canyon sized whitewater.

As a packing preference, I put my freshwater supply immediately in front of the seat, under my thighs. MSR dromedary, with a long drinking tube.

I've only used deck bags/pods on the Pyranha Fusion and Pyranha Speeder. Anything on the deck is cumbersome in hard whitewater. In float water, stuff on the deck has the added advantage of securing your beer. (I always have a little spillage when it's in my PFD cleavage).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Buy an 8.5 Mamba.....lol, I would think that a deck bag poses some risk on WW whether it be for rolling or a possible snag/hang up. That being said my rogue has the deck bungee and I stuff pogies and stuff in there. Not sure how anything bigger would work out on hairy rapid.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a sea to summit deck bag on my xp9 for my grand trip. Got knocked around in a couple hole and it stayed put. Had snacks, balm, towel, smokes and other light/small items and it was rather convenient. Didn't affect my roll as much as I thought it would (less than a fully loaded boat affected my roll). If trees or strainers were an issue I'd ditch the bag and pack smarter (think Tetris).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Well good to know it can be done. I was thinking about getting the nrs taj mahal. Just for some long but mellow class 2-3 floats. Didn't know if I could make a secure connection without rigging. But I have an old 8.1 and the ballasts are such a pain to remove that it's not worth it or really possible to store up front.

5 liter bag between the legs works well? Is that just so you have the extra space to rummage? When I picture putting two and a half two liter soda bottles down there it sounds tight. Haha. I will take the recommend none the less. Have yet to fit a bag there at all.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
5 liter bag between the legs works well? Is that just so you have the extra space to rummage? When I picture putting two and a half two liter soda bottles down there it sounds tight. Haha. I will take the recommend none the less. Have yet to fit a bag there at all.
My Fusion has no outfitting in front of the seat for holding a water bottle, so there is plenty of room for a dry bag....but I certainly don't stuff it full. It might be a pain in the ass to remove the bulk head, but if your going to be in it for multiple days you will want that space. I had a friend self support out of his Burn last summer, 5 days on Deso, so it is definitely possible to make a creek boat work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is there a way of modifying the front so it comes apart easier? I have seen mods that accept a groover up there. Does your boat have the step out creek front support?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
There probably is a way of modifying the bulk head so it comes in and out easier, but you don't necessarily want that, it kind of defeats the purpose of having it up there if it pops out when you swim.... I'm not sure what a "step out creek front support" is, but the Fusion has no center pillar. For that reason I don't usually boat it on anything harder than 3+. Cutch has taken his down some more difficult whitewater, but if I am doing an overnight whitewater trip with more than one or two class 4 rapids I will use my creek boat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1424051333.053711.jpg my new mamba 8.5 has a recessed and beefed up center pillar to help "step out" of the boat in case of a piton. This makes quick storage options limited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts