Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Come and open the gate
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like alot of people have had very unfortunate situations happen on the water in the mtn west this year.

what is the total number for fatalities this year? it seems like ive read of 10 or so incidents already. is this about average for this time in the year? do you see anything specifically contributing to these numbers this year?

i know morbid topic...

discuss...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't think it is more than usual for a big water year.

The cold wet spring on the heels of a good snow pack has led to more sustained flows than usual. Thus, vacationers in July are seeing the water that usually only the experienced would see in june.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's been an interesting year. Cold, wet June with good snowpack and now upper 90's for temps and 70s-80's in the mountains. Flows now are what they were in early June last year. I think a decent amount of the rivers/creeks have peaked, but who knows..

·
Registered
520 Posts
American Whitewater - -SecurityGadget-explain

pretty well says it all, except that this year isn't over. My morbid curiosity concerning Tim's recent passing on WW lead me to discover AW's database. According to it there have been 5 deaths on WW since 1991, Tim's makes 6, 2 of the 6 have been this year. The really interesting thing to know would the number of deaths in comparison with the number of user days, experience level, and proper equipment.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I wasn't paddling in 2004 as I was in AZ but I'd guess it was a low water year.

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
2001 - 2004 were epic drought years in the West. There was one year in that period when Brown's Canyon probably didn't get over about 300 cfs, and Westwater trips were typically at about 2000 cfs. Enjoy what's coming down the rivers and appreciate it!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bet there have been more than 6 deaths on WW since 1991. It seems like I've read about more than that in my 4 years of boating. The AW database is not at all complete, unfortunately.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I bet there have been more than 6 deaths on WW since 1991. It seems like I've read about more than that in my 4 years of boating. The AW database is not at all complete, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that it is not complete, but I am glad someone is trying to track these things. If anyone is explicitly aware of an inicident that is not reported, please make an effort to get it on there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Unfortunately there seem to be several river fatalities in colorado every year. A sad but common group seems to be rafters with little experience, improper gear, or passengers potentially unfit to save themselves.

A personal wake up call is that 3 experienced kayakers / C1ers died this year (1 was in wyoming technically). Certainly something for everyone to ponder.

To me the takeaway message is to never let your gaurd down, never take safe passage for granted, and treat every situation, no matter how trivial it might seem with the respect that the river demands.

·
Registered
834 Posts

A personal wake up call is that 3 experienced kayakers / C1ers died this year (1 was in wyoming technically). Certainly something for everyone to ponder.
That is exactly what I have been thinking about this season too. It has been on my mind a lot. This is the most deadly year for experienced Colorado kayakers that I can remember since I started (12 years ago?).

The danger is the spoiler for me. I love kayaking, but I just know that I'm going to call it quits some day. I've had my close call, I've see a few, I've witnessed a river death, and it wears on you after a while. If I can just stop buying creek boats after I break this one I'll be done with this habit... but we'll see.

I bought a nice raft this year: perfect for taking the family down some class II/III. Pretty soon I'm going to get a Pelican case that my banjo will fit in and just start floating stuff in my raft.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Unfortunately there seem to be several river fatalities in colorado every year. A sad but common group seems to be rafters with little experience, improper gear, or passengers potentially unfit to save themselves.

To me the takeaway message is to never let your gaurd down, never take safe passage for granted, and treat every situation, no matter how trivial it might seem with the respect that the river demands.
2 of those were Class V, one class IV right? All within their limits from what I understand.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ture, don't hang up the boat just yet... Bring the banjo to the takeout though.

My take is that as the years go by you can still kayak and have fun, just maybe taking it a notch down over time, and eliminate a lot of the fatality danger. Met a 68 yr old on the grand who kayaked slaughterhouse and did a grand trip every year for the past several years. Thats what I want to do.

"2 of those were Class V, one class IV right? All within their limits from what I understand." Sounds like this was the case. One was the V+ huge falls, another was damnation alley @ high water, and the third was a kayaker on upper gore creek.

Its good boaters that die on runs within their ability level that spooks me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts