Mountain Buzz banner

Where are you from and what do you think about Glade and the NISP?

• I live in the Poudre area and I am mad as hell!

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I live in the Poudre area and I could care less!

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I live in the community (Erie, Longmont, S. Loveland) that will benefit from glade and I am mad as h

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I live in the community (Erie, Longmont, S. Loveland) that will benefit from glade and I can't wait

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I live in a galaxy far far away, and if I knew Glade would proceed, I would be forced to aim the Dea

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • I am from a galaxy far far away, and I think we should dam the entire cosmos, rendering the universe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for any confusion. It occurred to several of us that expanding the poll to folks that would neither be benefited or impacted by Glade because they live in another state, or watershed but still have an opinion they would like to voice. Here is the link to the previous thread with old poll if you want to see that progression.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/death-of-river-whos-participating-whos-river-next-20171-post104241.html#post104241

As for they any other thoughts, I want to hear them, I have been mulling over my thoughts regarding the effort to stave-off the Glade development, but my thoughts are only as good as yours and only become better when considering the full range of thinking regarding the issue. so good people,

fire away...

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone, anyone? c'mon, I know you all have an opinion! Oh, happy fourth by the way!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well this is just crazy. Has this been in the news at all. When do they plan on doing this? Lets Start our own monkey wrench gang!

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is just crazy. Has this been in the news at all. When do they plan on doing this? Lets Start our own monkey wrench gang!
Marco wrote the following in the subsequent thread, I think he has a good feel for the situation, but yeah, it has largely been absent in the mainstream news reporting for the region.

Here's what Marco wrote...
I'm from Ft. Collins and attended the hearing in Greely. It's sad that the whole NISP process has been so lopsided- gotta pull those last few unclaimed acre feet out of the Poudre; too hell with water quality, riparian environment and recreation on the Poudre in Ft. Collins. The whole process is set up so that the public hearings are verbal war zones.

Why can't the water districts that need the water and Army Corps of Engineers work together with ditch owners and current water right holders, environmentalists and us recreation types and come up with a plan that puts water BACK INTO the Poudre and create more storage on the South Platte?

- The 50cfs minimum flow guarantee is laughable.
- By the time the whole project is online the communities benefiting from the water will already need more water than the project provides
- The water rights which would be used to fill Glade only come into effect for the three highest years out of every ten in the historical study. However, as I understand it, the historical data does not include data since 2000, during which time there have not been high enough flows for the water right to come into effect. So if Glade was built and ready to go in 2000, it would still be sitting empty now.

Click here and scroll down to NISP (and ignore the Certificate Exception if you get one) to read the draft EIS. OK- so it's too big- but at least peruse the executive summary and submit comments:
https://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/od-tl/eis-info.htm

Submit comments by July 31 to:

Mr. Chandler J. Peter
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Denver Regulatory Office
9307 South Wadsworth Blvd.
Littleton, CO 80128-6901
Fax: (303) 979-0602
Email: [email protected]
As for the monkey wrench idea, I am all down with, "up with spring down with empire", but destructive and illegal activities are not the way to go, even if your name is Rudolph the Red;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Youtube has info on this shit first time i have seen a clip on this bull shit. Look it up on youtube cause i do not know how to post the site but the name is "the truth about glade reservoirand the poudre river" It is alot of one sided bull shit in my mind

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, suffice it to say with a whopping 17 responses to the poll there is a unanimous sense of frustration and anger toward Glade, local and from afar. There were no responses from the folks who live in the area that Glade will benefit. I will keep the poll going for a couple of more weeks.

So where do we go from here? I know people have an opinion, and not stating an opinion is every bit the same as stating one, complacency and idleness are what will make Glade happen, period!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jonas,
Thanks for bringing this back to the surface and with the poll. I think most of us locals have already written on this topic for the last few months on here. You should pull up the last thread and know that this community is not happy with the potential of this res. Most of us were at the hearings and have written letters.

Do you have any other suggestions of actions that can be taken?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah. I was under the impression that once the EIS made it out, it was a done deal (no matter how shitty the EIS was). Is there more to it? Is it still feasably possible to stop this?

COUNT

·
Registered
463 Posts
Count and everyone for that matter,

Its not done until its done. Comments sent to the Corps contact have a major impact to the outcome and are required to be address. Be sure to get those in by the extension deadline. However comments such as,

- i feel the project is bad, will kill the river, etc... and we need to conserve more etc...

do not have much impact at this stage. At this stage comments need to address specific shortcomings of the DEIS in regards to technical merit, analysis, and NEPA guidelines.

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jonas,
Thanks for bringing this back to the surface and with the poll. I think most of us locals have already written on this topic for the last few months on here. You should pull up the last thread and know that this community is not happy with the potential of this res. Most of us were at the hearings and have written letters.

Do you have any other suggestions of actions that can be taken?
I defer to Lief's comment

I know the boating community is pretty engaged, I am promoting a little rabble rousing, because this thing is not done! What more, I started this thread based on my interaction with a paddler from Erie, and he said he knew nothing of the NISP/Glade. It got me to thinking, do people who live in the communities that are benefiting from Glade know it is going to degrade our community. I posit that a person that lives there will have more of an impact on what happens here, than us. Remember, the citizens of Erie, Longmont, etc. instigated this by wanting more development. Perhaps they are unaware of the impact this project is going to have on our community. So maybe we need to inform them. Take out local newspaper and radio ads addressing the concerns.

Mark Easter told me that they had an informational meeting on Glade down at a school in the Erie area, only 5 people showed up, and the most interest in the audience came from the janitor who was just walking by. Clearly the message is not getting out.

The Two Forks project on the South Platte was stopped because of public outcry and education from around the state, not just the Deckers area. That is what I am talking...

P.S. Lief, saw you guys yesterday on the river, your girl's got mad skills in Pineview, that was fun to watch!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can you please direct me to a source linking Longmont to this project. This is the first I have heard of my community being involved.

·
Registered
463 Posts
From Table 1-1 in DEIS,

Participating Communities,

1. Central Weld County Water District
2. Town of Eaton
3. Town of Erie
4. City of Evans
5. Fort Collins - Loveland Water District
6. City of Fort Lupton
7. City of Fort Morgan
8. City of Lafayette
9. Lefthand Water District
10. Morgan County Water District
11. Town of Severance
12. Town of Windsor

Longmont is not a participant.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The way the process generally works is that they issue a draft environmental statement (EIS), then there is a comment period where folks have the opportunity to make comments. The agencies are supposed to address the concerns of the comments, and then will put out a final EIS that has taken these comments into account. The EIS is the analysis of the proposed action that tries to figure out what the impacts will be and how they will be mitigated. The "final" document that puts things into action is the record of decision (ROD). The ROD will stipulate how the proposal will be enacted, how the mitigation will work, and lays out the framework for how the project can progress. Until the ROD comes out, its not a done deal. Your comments now can potentially influence the EIS.

·
OC-1 disciple
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you please direct me to a source linking Longmont to this project. This is the first I have heard of my community being involved.
I apologize as I assumed the Left Hand Water District included Longmont. Your lovely community is not involved, just everything, nearly 360 degrees around it is. Other than my gross mis-characterization and implication of the good people of Longmont to NISP/Glade, do you see anything of value in the discussion on water projects, development, and community action and education in this thread?

·
Registered
328 Posts
We already plugged the North St Vrain. It's an awesome river above Ralf Price and an awesome river below it; I can only imagine what sits underneath it. Not to mention the fact that during this sweet season the river has barely run all year.

As for your question, other than the 50Cfs minimum there haven’t been any facts or data presented so no, one can not find it too helpful or informative.

The link to the EIS is good and should be viewed by everyone, unfortunately not many people have the time or patience to sit through it all and the Exeuc summary, while worth reading, barely touches on the meat of the project.

·
Registered
255 Posts
government!

regarding EIS's and RODs, i am remembering some lectures i had once..

and responding to count's comment about a bad EIS.

Isn't a bad EIS grounds for litigation? if an EIS is done incorrectly, i thought that there could be litigation and a hault to the proposed project per NEPA.

Wasn't this how the two forks dam was stopped?

BTW - no env. reg. expert, just had a class once.

Who's got the inside track to an env. lawyer?

S

1 - 16 of 16 Posts