Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Interesting title and says more about you than her. I met her down at the river and talked to her for a bit. She was genuine and nice. Whether you liked her work or not, she was a very nice lady. Sad to hear about this.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Interesting title and says more about you than her. I met her down at the river and talked to her for a bit. She was genuine and nice. Whether you liked her work or not, she was a very nice lady. Sad to hear about this.
I agree. My wife and I visited with her for a few minutes over lunch one day in Salida. She seemed like a decent person and made my little boy smile. I'm definitely not a big fan of the work but "clown" is off base at best. Different strokes for different folks Demo, isn't that what you liberals are all about?

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Sad deal. I'm boating the Ark today and I look forward to seeing the finished work someday.

Rest in Peace.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
The finished work is a giant waste of resources to decorate a wild place like it's their Manhattan or Paris apartment. The Arkansas is a beautiful place and it doesn't need curtains from some eclectic artistic socialites. I'm hoping that Cristo gives up after this.

250,000 people die each day, but most of them weren't planning covering a river valley with fabric. I'm not sad. Nice or not, who gives a shit?

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
I'll keep that in mind when I'm floating past the rebar, busted up concrete, and endless lines of graffiti painted box cars today. Maybe I can hear the water in between the cars and diesel trucks whizzing by on Highway 50.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The finished work is a giant waste of resources to decorate a wild place like it's their Manhattan or Paris apartment. The Arkansas is a beautiful place and it doesn't need curtains from some eclectic artistic socialites. I'm hoping that Cristo gives up after this.

250,000 people die each day, but most of them weren't planning covering a river valley with fabric. I'm not sad. Nice or not, who gives a shit?

Waste of resources? The artist was paying for all of the cost's. Not a dime of public funds are going to be used. The damn thing will only be up for two weeks and would draw people from all over the world. The resulting tourism, if the project is finished, will inject a significant amount of money into local economy.

I don't get installation art period. I'm not at all opposed to people spending money in the Ark Valley. In case you haven't noticed, the place could use a little cash injection.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
The Arkansas River Valley is not a park or a museum, and yes it sucks that there is a lot of trash in our river corridors, but allowing some Eastern socialite artists the access to decorate wild places in the Rocky Mountain west is stupid. Sure, maybe a few rich Californians will stop by Jan's or Bongo Billy's and spend a few bucks on their way to see the "art," but don't let the record fool you, people saw this guys art in Central Park in such droves because it's Central Park. There won't be near as much cash coming into Chaffee.

Yahweh did a pretty good job decorating the mountains of Colorado. Improvement is not necessary. Besides, what happens when the fabric ends up in the river?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Like I said Randaddy, the "art" certainly isn't my cup of tea. I still don't get your staunch opposition. It's not exactly a pristine stretch of river. I'd be right there with you if you were talking about the Grand, The Gorge or even something like Ruby Horsethief. They had to pay for an extensive impact study and I've read the provisions for orderly clean-up which were all very well thought out.

There are people that would prefer that they not have to look at us float by on the river "Yahweh" created perfectly. But we have the freedom to use the resource as we please for the most part. Your freedom to be you must include everybody else's freedom to be who they would like to be.

Why am I wasting my time arguing a liberals right to be a liberal? I'm out of here, it's Saturday dammit!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hmmm, this liberal is no fan of Christo's and/or Jean Claude's art, but I don't celebrate anyone's death. Agreeing with Yarm and Theo is not my standard modus operandi, but in this case I do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm an easterner, and there is a bit on implied ignorance in some comments here, on par as if people back here think that the west is full of ignorant ******* cowboys. We all know sterotypes are not full true. C'mon guys, let's take people on an individual basis.
But, anyway....
I will say that Jean Claude and Christo's work ALWAYS has a level of controversy
and that is a small part of the point they are making in recontextualizing the things that they wrap. Teh Central Park project took decades to happen, specifically because there were so many people who did not want it to happen. I saw it. It was a cool project.
I'm a fan of their work intellecutally, but in actuality I, too, would rather see mother nature left alone. The river is a sacred space to me, and I feel this is kind of like a decorator walking into a church and saying "this is nice but it really needs my touch to be cool". Kind of weak sauce.
In grad school, one of the most difficult things to explain to most was the intense experiences that I've had outside, WITHOUT having any external signifier of it. Seems that many artists (particularly those who live in cities, or heavily populated suburban areas) really really WANT to express some kind of natural inter-relationship, but can only seem to justify it by forcing external signs or recontexualizations of the existing natural surroundings.
In reality, the "art world" needs this as something to talk about, something to show, something to market. But, the artists themselves don't.

Kind of more to the point of the first few posts:
1. I"m not a fan of this project, and would be happy to see it never finished
2. I think it's a bit harsh to be happy about someone's death.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I certainly didnt want to start the debate on the project again but when I talked to her, she said in addition to the millions that they had set back to make sure there was no trace of what they did but had more than a mil put back for other cleanup in that area. I suggested the concrete and rebar area near the tracks since she was at the old parkdale takeout. She said thats the kinda stuff they wanted to clean up. Whether the project is art or not is up to the individual and of course debatable. In my opinion she was a creative, intelligent and genuinely nice person and I am sad about her passing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I certainly didn't mean to "celebrate" her death. That doesn't mean that I can't retain my opinion about her absurd attempt at "art". Calling her a clown doesn't "celebrate" her death. Its true, I never met her. She could have been the nicest person in the world, but the fact that she was planning on putting up a huge piece of cloth over a river valley in the name of "art" is very clownish. Regardless of whether she was planning on paying for the entire project or not it would have imposed externalities on everybody who would want to use the area. If somebody put a huge blanket all over the Animas I would be pissed because one of the main reasons I go paddling is to enjoy the scenery. Also, don't tell me that stringing up a huge amount of cloth all over the river valley wouldn't have some ecological impact. Cleaning up a huge art project in central park is one thing. Cleaning it up in the Arkansas river valley is an entirely different animal.

I never said "gee I'm glad that bitch is dead", and I certainly don't think that. Clown may have been a bit insensitive, but any sense of elation I communicated was purely because what would have been one of the largest cases of vandalism in history was averted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It seems like all of Christo and Jeanne-Claude's projects engender big opposition, but after the fact people appreciate them greatly. I don't "get" all of their work, but have seen an awful lot of it, and it is always interesting and thought provoking and sometimes stunningly beautiful.

In addition to the project bringing money into the area and paying for additional river cleanup, I guarantee that it would be a very cool experience for the boating community, tremendously unique and something that people would cherish forever. I for one hope very strongly that it happens.

I respect that people will disagree, and that people don't appreciate her art, but I for one am saddened by her passing.

*donning flame suit now*

·
Registered
89 Posts
I certainly didn't mean to "celebrate" her death. That doesn't mean that I can't retain my opinion about her absurd attempt at "art". Calling her a clown doesn't "celebrate" her death. Its true, I never met her. She could have been the nicest person in the world, but the fact that she was planning on putting up a huge piece of cloth over a river valley in the name of "art" is very clownish. Regardless of whether she was planning on paying for the entire project or not it would have imposed externalities on everybody who would want to use the area. If somebody put a huge blanket all over the Animas I would be pissed because one of the main reasons I go paddling is to enjoy the scenery. Also, don't tell me that stringing up a huge amount of cloth all over the river valley wouldn't have some ecological impact. Cleaning up a huge art project in central park is one thing. Cleaning it up in the Arkansas river valley is an entirely different animal.

I never said "gee I'm glad that bitch is dead", and I certainly don't think that. Clown may have been a bit insensitive, but any sense of elation I communicated was purely because what would have been one of the largest cases of vandalism in history was averted.
The fact that you imply someone is a vandal when they asked permission and planned to clean up a shit hole section of river, continues to say more about you. We need more like her. I would think you might be more inclined to discuss why oil and gas drilling are destroying the west, instead of worrying about something that will be removed in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Largest cases of vandalism in history???? That might be an over-statement. Have you paddled the section of river in question this past year???? There are about 459 rail cars lining the river with REAL vandalism...not moved...ugly....ghetto.

We're talking about two weeks of time here....footprint removed with the possibility of increased stewardship. They may actually clean-up MORE than they should to leave zero impact.

The impact??? We're talking about anchor bolts hammer-drilled into railroad and roadwork construction debris that is already littered with rebar and railroad ties. Do you REALLY think anyone is going to notice 1" diameter holes in concrete debris??? Because that's all that'll be left when they're done.

Please tell me you're not concerned about the impact it'll have on the wildlife over a two week period......

·
Registered
302 Posts
I for one plan on making the trip from Grand Junction over to the Ark specifically to boat under their fabric art. I'll bring my wife and we'll grab some food, and probably check out the view of the mountains by walking a few feet up from the river's edge so's we can see past the fabric. Good art is always controversial. This seems well planned and might have a net positive effect. As to "Eastern socialite artists," I say "Pshaw!" They're foreigners, and craven godless French, and they're probably already on welfare! And I'll bet they even speak French sometimes, while they're in our country! But hey, they're artists...

A previous poster made a comment about the impact of oil and gas vs. this project, and I have to say that I agree with him. Of course, oil and gas is controversial too... does that make it art?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Of course, oil and gas is controversial too... does that make it art?
I've known some engineers that would think so. Practically think it's the holy land. Puke.

Those darn French, you know the problem with them, they don't have a word for entrepreneur! (quote from GW Bushmeister!).

I've softened too. While initially it seemed repulsive (I am not familiar with rivers that are so damaged as this one sounds), many have painted quite the picture of industrial trash. Hopefully they do leave it cleaner, and sometimes urbanites need things, such as art, to draw their attention to things which are worth saving, protecting, etc. I'm thinking of pretty pictures of whales. Which, as an engineer, is a pretty darn artsy thought for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hopefully they do leave it cleaner, and sometimes urbanites need things, such as art, to draw their attention to things which are worth saving, protecting, etc.
I never thought of that, but if this project helps deep-six any future Front Range water-sucking projects, then heck, I hope they do it twice!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts