Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days before our Lodore trip I saw this article:

Ranger kills bear at Dinosaur National Monument | ksl.com

About a bear being shot by a ranger at Lodore put in.

Two days into our trip I come across this:

At first I thought it was a dead cow, but then closer inspections revealed it being a bear.

Found him right at the bottom of this Unnamed rapid in the eddy Google Maps

The sighting has been reported to the rangers.

Alex

·
Registered
235 Posts
Too bad, a fed bear is a dead bear. My backyard river is the Rogue and it is black bear heaven. They have better handle on the bear problems since they put in electric fence exclosures for coolers. Every once in a while a bear will get used to being shocked and has to be put down but over all it works very well. They might need to look at this solution for other rivers, it is inexpensive but takes a bit of work for the FS or BLM to set up intially, once it is up it is good for the summer. The batteries can last all summer. We take a portable unit and put wire ribbon around our rafts in bear country, the local feed stores have some great portable units these days very easy to pack. We will be taking it to MT this summer. We used it on a Tatshenshini trip and had no issues with Griz.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Too bad, a fed bear is a dead bear. My backyard river is the Rogue and it is black bear heaven. They have better handle on the bear problems since they put in electric fence exclosures for coolers. Every once in a while a bear will get used to being shocked and has to be put down but over all it works very well. They might need to look at this solution for other rivers, it is inexpensive but takes a bit of work for the FS or BLM to set up intially, once it is up it is good for the summer. The batteries can last all summer. We take a portable unit and put wire ribbon around our rafts in bear country, the local feed stores have some great portable units these days very easy to pack. We will be taking it to MT this summer. We used it on a Tatshenshini trip and had no issues with Griz.
Uhh, did you see the part of the article where it talks about bears that are used to the shocks and have become humanized?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which article are you referring to? Yes it happens, but over all it works well. No question some bears need to be put down.
Oh, my bad, it was a separate article than the one than the KSL one. I read three or four different ones this morning about bear control. I thought the KSL one discussed that they had some bears that had "learned" to deal with the shock of the electric fence.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The best bear control/ deterrent: DOGS!
I've never had any issue when my 95# lab is with me. Stop killing the bears! Use a natural deterrent. Utah and Colorado have to get their head out of their ass and allow dogs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The best bear control/ deterrent: DOGS!
I've never had any issue when my 95# lab is with me. Stop killing the bears! Use a natural deterrent. Utah and Colorado have to get their head out of their ass and allow dogs.
Amen! Our chocolate lab saved my husband's life during a bear encounter while he was on a solo Deso trip three years ago. We would always get our Deso permits after they allowed dogs. Now that they don't allow dogs, we don't feel comfortable doing it without her. Very sad.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Um, what does this floater have to with the habitual bear the ranger shot? I assume (hope) the DOW probably disposed of the euthanized bear in an appropriate manner which didn't include dumping the body in the river?! So I assume this was a different ursula? Was this bear shot, or did it just get drunk on honey and fermented berries, decide the swim the river without an appropriate floatation device and drown? If so, why do we need to add dogs to the equation?

Here's my theory on it: Bad water year = forage poor = more wildlife on the river because it's the only place to eat/drink = fights / death between wildlife and river rats have a front row seat at the show. Dogs will chase all of that away, so is that really the solution our bear lovers are looking for?

Just keep you camp clean, be aware of your surroundings, take appropriate precautions in camp and only shoot Yogi if he goes after the keg.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I knew some kayakers on the rogue would take turns holding the fence and counting to twenty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts